Rally Armor UR Mud Flaps Review

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by TURBOH4, Aug 1, 2015.

1. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

I finally pulled the proverbial trigger on these very expensive mud flaps (I paid $165 which seems about normal). I ordered them from Amazon so of course they came pretty quickly.

Packaging: 9/10

Pretty much what you would expect - cardboard box containing everything you need. The only minor issue is that the brackets are kind of haphazardly thrown into bubble wrap and one came slightly bent.​

Instructions: 4/10

This is where I felt the product truly came up short. The instructions are pretty poorly written. Not translated poorly, or anything like that, just poorly written. In addition, if you follow the steps in the order given, it makes life difficult for you. The provided pictures/illustrations aren't much help either; they're very low-res and in B&W. It's even hard to tell what orientation the pictures were taken in.

In fact, if you watch one of the numerous videos demonstrating the installation, and then read the instructions, you'll likely be confused. In the end, you're better off watching the video(s) and throwing the instructions in the garbage.

For a nearly $200 set of mud flaps, I think they could have done a lot better here.
    Installation: 7/10

I'm a pretty mechanically inclined person, and I had installed factory mud flaps on my FRS, so I did have some knowledge going in. Installation was pretty straightforward and easy enough. I HIGHLY recommend removing the wheel as it makes things MUCH easier.

The video on their site tells you to bend the brackets after installing them. I can see why - the flaps come in towards the tire on the rear unless you bend them outwards. What puzzles me is why do the brackets not fit correctly to start with? Pretty lame if you ask me.
    Fit/Finish: 8/10

Overall, these fit really well and look like they belong on the car. There are, however, some minor annoyances. First of all, the inner-most portion of the flaps are held on by a self-tapping screw that is WAY too long. Honestly, it looks like I lost the right screws and used what I had laying around. Not very impressed with this at all.

Second, the hardware included is all stainless steel which is nice. However, I would have really liked to have something that blends in with the fender liner. It has a very industrial look which is kind-of OK, but really, I'd prefer not to have silver nuts and bolts sticking out of my fenders.

Third, there's a small gap between the top of the flaps and the side skirts on the front. In the instructions they tell you that it is designed this way to allow best tire clearance. I really don't see how this small gap would make any difference. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Lastly, another annoyance, albeit minor, is that the edges of the flaps are not smoothed. It has a a jagged and unfinished look; it looks like they just punched them out, threw them in the box, and called it a day. How much time would it take to properly finish the product?
    Appearance: 10/10

When everything is all said and done, they do look really good. It adds a rally look to the car which is what I was after.​

[​IMG]

Function: ? TBD

I've only had them on the car a day, but I imagine that they will work exceptionally well. They stick out 1+" from the fender and are pretty long. We'll see.

I'll post better pics when I get a chance; it's hard to get a decent pic with direct sunlight because the flaps are black.

2. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

What part of the instruction and install did you have trouble with?

I took my good sweet time installing mine and it took 30 mins for the whole car with no problems with the wheels are on the car.

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

black Sharpie will fix those shiny SS parts

4. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Or some black plasti-dip. It would help protect it from the elements alil as well.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

it's stainless steel besides 5 seconds with a marker or the hassle of paint?

6. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

I didn't have trouble, it was just my opinion of the instructions. They aren't written very well. I skimmed through the video and then used the instructions as a reference along the way. Took maybe 45 mins, but I removed each wheel.

The ink from the sharpie won't really stick to stainless, and even if it does, it'll quickly start washing off. I tried that trick on the foam adhesive strip on my last car...did not work. First time I washed the car I had streaks of black coming off the badge.

They are stainless, but I may end up doing this. If not, I may just use heatshrink on the nuts.