Range meet anyone? Anyone...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Max Q, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Max Q

Max Q Member

I've been trying to get some of my buddies together for an outdoor range meet and would like to invite some of our WRXATL guys to join. I don't have a date or location set so that's something that we can all figure out if there's enough interest. We are looking at a Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday any time between September 25th and the end of November.

I do all my target practice on my buddies land and don't have a ton of experience with some of the outdoor ranges across north Georgia so I am open to suggestions for a location. I know there are a few that require most of us to drive at least an hour so it will probably end up being the one that is the least burdensome for the group.

2. Max Q

Max Q Member

Of course I'm talking about, "Pew! Pew! Pew!" range.

Not, "Four!" range.

:|

3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I'm in for just about when ever. I would like to go somewhere thats got a 300+ yard range, I've got a couple of nice hunting rifles I haven't shot in years.

4. Max Q

Max Q Member

The only 300+ yarder I know of is in Macon. Are you aware of another?

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Haven't really looked lately. Doesn't matter I'm down for where ever.

6. Max Q

Max Q Member

I haven't been able to find a range longer than 100-200 yards that doesn't require a membership near Atlanta. Maybe somebody else has?

I want to avoid the weekend crowd and Monday and Tuesday are good for me. Clybel and Johns Mountain WMA are both nice facilities and have cheap parking fees. Clybel can accommodate more people, IIRC.

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

creek side range in taylorsville, GA

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Too bad you guys aren't near me. I have a personal range that's 1000 yards. Love going out to shoot the .50 cal with buddies.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

River Bend in Dawsonville

10. Max Q

Max Q Member

All those places have excellent reviews but they require memberships, no?

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

It's been a while since going and we were there with a member, best to call them and ask.

12. Max Q

Max Q Member

So River Bend is members only and Creek Side is not.

Creek Side is likely a more convenient location for the majority than Clybel or Johns Mountain. They are only open to non-members three days a week (Mon, Fri, and Sat) which could potentially mean those days are crowded with other people. Also, the fees are higher than the WMA's. It's $10/30min, $15/1hr, and $20/day at Creek Side. Still not bad though and the difference in price could be justified by the location. On the other hand, it's probable that Clybel or Johns Mountain are going to be very quiet on a Monday morning just in case there is a good turnout.

Any other potential venues not mentioned?

13. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

call em up and try to negotiate