[rant] cobb tuning [/rant]

Discussion in 'General Community' started by AtlxPat, Mar 15, 2010.

1. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

so i have had nothing but bad luck with this cobb ap i bought 2 years ago.
    first purchased it 2nd hand from a guy that already sold his car...but he forgot to unmarrie it, he eventually paid for the $300 for a new license from cobb.
    2nd problem was when the processor burned out and they charged me $150 for a replacement.
    3rd problem occurred when cobb was fixing my cobb ap and rewrote in on the license that it is for a 2007 wrx sti, my car is a 2007 wrx and Doug found this out while i was in a tuning session at Topspeed.
    looks like im driving around without a tune for a few days.
    car already threw a lean code

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Sell the AP and go opensource. I've had my issues with Cobb for a while but they mainly stem from no support of JDM motors despite the fact that the AP is rebadged as a Prova EM system in Japan.

3. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

fwiw... just talked to my friend that works at cobb and they fired the guy that screwed up on your ap.

Not that it fixes the situation but atleast they did something about it.

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I still think it is worth it in the end to stay Cobb, maybe that's just me.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Seems like isolated incidents... I would say that most Cobb users are satisfied, repeat customers...

6. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

:eek3: WOW man at least something happened, thanks for helping me out doug, i'll let you know when i can reschedule

and as for cobb, i think i'll probably stay. what other options do i have? ecutek/aem? all not as flexible as the cobb

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Opensource is an option as well

8. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

since you ecu is locked right now with a cobb license you really don't have any options other then send in the ap and get it fixed.

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Cobb overnighted my ECU back to me for sat delivery free of charge when the AP v2 first came out. I thought the ecu had bricked but it was actually a wiring harness we gorgot to plug back in. No questions asked they gave me a new AP and looked at my ECU free of charge.

OS is always an option but i would go with what your tuner recommends. He is the guy tuning your car not you:)

10. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yea doug told me about your situation, i'll probably go with cobb ap still....

11. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

haha my 1,000th post was about my cobb ap problem, nice.

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Your 1000th post was a fail post?

13. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

correct sir.

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

AEM is vastly better than Cobb. Opensource is less than Cobb but better than Ecutek.

So order goes...
    1) AEM
    2) Cobb
    3) OS
    4) Ecutek
    5) Hydra (I just don't like Hydras and have heard of many many issues with them. However there are many running just fine out there though)

This also does not include Motecs and the like....they are just too expensive.

15. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

cobb said they sent me a 2 day shipping label through email, i havent seen anything. contacted them today and they said they resent it.
    getting a bit frustrated.

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Check your junk/spam folder???

17. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yup.

18. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

So how many of each have you tuned? Hydra is fairly capable!

I think it really depends on the customer and the application. Each can have it's own use. I would keep the Cobb till it is no longer useful. But it can take you a LONG way. Cobb has its problems, but I think is a pretty good system. They have helped me out when ECU's decide they want to be difficult. A little more attractive now that they lowered their prices.

Opensource is fine if you want longer tuning times, but it does have access to some tables that Cobb currently does not on some ECU's. Again, each has its advantages and disadvantages. Especially if you want to keep cruise control and emissions!!

19. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I went AEM because I was tired of the stock ECU pulling / adding timing at will. While at stage 2 this is fine, but with big power it can be a big problem. Ecutek systems aren't stand alone, and iirc, the stock ECU can still override for certain situations. With standalone, you get what your tuner wants your car to get everytime

20. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Oh yeah, I agree 100%. There are many things stand alones can do that stock computer (cobb, opensource or ecutec) can not do. But if you want to pass emissions it adds an additional difficulty to the end user and then there is the minor annoyance of cruise control not being supported by any I have seen so far.

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I have experience with all thru various friends. Hydra is capable but still a royal pita and it's NEVER consistent.

22. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

finally got my shipping label, hopefully i'll get it back by the beginning of next week.