RCE Regular Guy springs

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by LoveMyNewSoob, Aug 14, 2014.

1. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

So, everytime I think I have taken a break from modding this thing, something goes on sale, or someone is selling something that I think I need, or have been looking at/considering for a while. The latest one, RCE springs. Rallysport has them on sale right now for what seems like a pretty good price.
    If anyone here can help me with some knowledge on this, I would appreciate it.
    Current suspension is all stock except for RCE sways (on stock end links). I like that fact that these would lower the car a tad, but don't know much more than that.
    The car is a daily driver with around 2 track days a year. I am about to hit 70K.

What other things can I expect?
    What do I need to know?
    Supporting mods needed/suggested?
    Good idea/bad idea?

Oh, I still have plans for new rims (probably work emotion XT7) on down the road if that matters.

Thanks,

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

RCE does a LOT of testing on items before they put something out. They're also sort of gurus when it comes to suspension.

3. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I've had great luck with RCE tarmac 2 coilovers (yes i know other end of the spectrum). But what I'm more here to comment on is that Myles the owner of RCE is involved in the day to day and helped me greatly in planning out my suspension goals and didn't try to force me into the T2's, he actually almost got me into a different brand, but I wanted to 2-way adjustable for future track usage.

So overall it may help to shoot him a email/call. Also as for their springs, I belive several members have had the RCE yellows and I've heard good things about those, the blacks I have always read feel great, and are nice for more DD cars because the drop is very practical.

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I can't speak for the regular guy version.. but I had the Yellows. Drop was perfect but it was a really rough ride. I've heard the regular version are similar to Japanese OEM Pinks... so they should ride pretty nice. Just didn't provide the drop I wanted.

5. SubiNoobie

SubiNoobie Supporting Member

I can echo the positive sentiments about Myles and RCE. Their service was excellent when I was researching spring (and overall suspension) options. I personally went with the Yellows. Loved the slight drop but they weren't too kind to the OEM shocks. I had chosen the Tarmac 2 as well for my next-step upgrade. YMMV.

6. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

On stock struts? If so that is why it was horrible.

I had RCE Blacks (same as regular guy) coupled with Tokico DSpec struts and the ride was absolutely fantastic.

7. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

I agree with Jeff's perspective; Myles is very good in helping you match [or confirm] the parts selection with your suspension performance/comfort/perfection[Budget] priorities, as well as Myles provides excellent post sales advice :)

8. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

9. OddJob

OddJob New Member

I can speak for these springs.....they're AWESOME. I used the Blacks for almost a year and loved them. It will ride better...no joke, and will handle better. It's also a nice plug n play mod. You never have to worry about threads rusting up or any other thing to maintain. The drop is noticeable, but it won't slam your car. Let me find an old pic that shows ya the drop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You'll enjoy them.

10. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Did you run them on stock struts?

11. OddJob

OddJob New Member

I did. After talking to Myles, he told me I wouldn't have to worry about blowing a stock strut with these. The plan was to buy the Bilsteins at the same time, but they're always out of stock. I ended up selling the setup to a good friend and he's been on them for close to a year now w/o any issues.

12. Holc13WRX

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

I may have to do this.:wiggle:

13. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks! That is kind of the info I was looking for! Appreciate the pics too! At this point, I don't want to go to crazy on supension so the pics look to show pretty much what was in my head.

14. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Oh, and I'm assuming no fender work with these correct?

15. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Something just showed up in time for a long weekend!

[​IMG]

16. OddJob

OddJob New Member

I'm sorry I missed your question, this week has been a little crazy for me. I did roll my rears, but mainly because the best roller guy was moving out of town. I would say it doesn't "need" it, but you're better off doing it if you like to drive aggressively. After he explained the process to me I had no worries about it and have never had any kind of paint cracking or flaking off. If it were me, I'd say do it and with this warmer weather right now you won't have to heat the paint too much. Gratz on the springs too!

Just a suggestion, but since you're doing springs it would be a great time to switch to a nice set of SS brake lines while everything is off. :)

17. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks for the added info. I am planning on a track day on the 19th... :/
    I was going to do SS line a while ago but read so many horror stories that I decided against it

18. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

So, I just installed the springs on Monday (what a PIA the strut bolt was!). I actually had to go to Pep Boys and have them losen it for me.

I went to Subaru of Kennesaw on Tuesday to get the alignment done and everything seemed fine.
    But, I am now getting a wobble sensation at higher speeds. I did get it yesterday when coasting, but that went away. It seems to be more prevelant when I turn right. Any ideas on what this might be? My first thought was the sway bar? As they were installed with the old springs on. Does it need to be readjusted?

Thanks for any thoughts/tips.

19. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Are you sure all bolts esp the top hat and the nut on the top of the strut are tight?

20. Holc13WRX

Will you post a pic of your car now that you have them installed. I would like to see the drop on a car I've actually seen in person.

21. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I double checked the torque on the 3 nuts holding it to the chasis yesterday and they were up to spec.

The nut on top of the strut is my next move. Do you think I can check it by accessing that one through the dust cover? Or does the whole assembly need to be removed again?

22. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

You can if you have an extended socket. It must be impacted on...you can't do it right by hand.

23. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

This is the one I took right after they were done. Sorry for the crappy cell pic. I was hoping to get some better shots, but my camera battery was dead.

[​IMG]

24. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Really? Why not? Install says 40.6 ft/lbs.
    One problem we did have is that the nut goes onto a bolt with a allen head, so the rears just kept rotating. We had to use a wrench and an allen key to get it.

25. crazyazn

my money is more on the center nut that holds the top hat to the strut, as the torque specs for the 3 small bolts I believe is pretty low. But I agree with superhawk, that nut can spin on the shock shaft so it can be tricky to actually get it torqued down without a impact or one of those strap wrenches

26. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

cool, thanks.
    The rears were definitley spinning. The fronts seemed ok once the spring was back loaded...but maybe not.

27. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

So, can you tell a difference?

28. Holc13WRX

It doesn't look as dramatic is it does in the photo that oddjob posted, but it looks really good. Definitely gave it a bit more aggressive stance.

Did you notice the difference??

29. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

From my own research into the RCE springs for my own reasons... the drop is only 15mm (0.6 inches). I think its just the angle of oddjob's pictures.

30. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I think he might have a different wheel offset too

31. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I can tell a difference.
    Until I get the wobble figured out though, I haven't really pushed them. I have noticed less movement while accelerating and the go-cart feeling though. :wiggle:

32. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Is it a wobble like a tire unbalanced or like something is lose?

It also might be from putting your spring\shock combo back on might have an alignment trouble on there as well.

33. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

It is more of something lose. I put the springs on Monday and had an alignment done tuesday, so I don't think it is that.

Just checked the nut on the top hat and that seems secure...it's not rotating.

New problem...can't get the front left wheel off now to check other things...probably ANOTHER stripped stud...

34. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Just got done jacking up the car to check the things I could get to and found out what it might be coming from. There are two lugs that are not securely tightened but are stripped so they won't move any more on the front right. This leads to me being able to wiggle the while while off the ground.
    Back to the dealer tomorrow morning. :squint:

35. crazyazn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; SCH-I545 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.135 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Hrm. I guess this is why you dont impact on lugs

36. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

So, I think the debacle may be done now. As per another thread I started concerning wheel studs, that seems to have been the culprit for the wobble. By the time I got back to SOK, I needed 5 new studs on the front left and another one replaced on the left rear...a total of 8 studs in 3 days. fun times :|

Thanks for everyone that took the time to try and help me out!

37. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Yeah never impact lugs. Always hand tighten to 70 ft/lb tq.

38. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

yeah, i never have. I hand torque to 75

39. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I hate dealerships and shops for that very reason. You can tell them to not use the impact and still catch them doing it.

But I'm glad you fix it and more important found it before something bad happened!

40. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Yeah, I plan on taking her to the track on the 19th, so I need everything ready to go.

41. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

So I just wanted to quickly post up some more pics. The one I had taken earlier was kind of hard to see, so these should show the results a little better. So far, I am loving the new feel. Much crisper, flat and grounded. At first I didn't really see a difference, but the more I look at the car, the more I see it. Side note, I also have the RCE sway bars both set to stiff, so that is probably helping the feel as week. For $290, I would have to recommend them at this point. Hopefully I can test them better this weekend on the mountain run. :wiggle:

These pictures you can actually see the top tread instead of black wheel well, and I tried to match the other angle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

42. joncrawford21

joncrawford21 Member

Does anyone have the Race comp yellows for 2013 sti? Just wondering how you like them because it's going to be my big suspension mod. Any used for sale?