Rear-ended - Minor Damage. Fix it or Let it Go?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nygiant, Apr 11, 2013.

1. nygiant

nygiant Member

This morning, as I am leaving my subdivision I wait at the stop sign to pull onto the main road. Someone is behind me, waiting too. After about 10 seconds of waiting at the stop sign waiting for cars to pass, I get hit. It couldn't have been more than 5mph.

Now, the guy was pretty apologetic. I called the cops for a report etc, got his insurance, DL stuff etc etc. But, should I even go through with the insurance fixing it or just let it go? The damage is minor, but there nonetheless (I'm borderline anal and a perfectionist) but I am wondering if it is minor enough to just let it slide.

I already have a ding on the front bumper from sliding into a parked car during a 2010 ice storm, now this on the rear bumper. I don't want to start letting too many things slide and eventually have the car start turning to shit.

Its a 2008 with 76k on it.

I let my insurance know about it, but I wanted to get opinions before calling his insurance to file the claim.

Its hard to see the exact damage in the pics, but theres a dent from the support and some scrapes and scuffs which I am sure will come out with rubbing compound, etc.

One coworker told me to let it go. Another told me to get it fix because I will be penalized for value when I go to trade/sell it down the line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nygiant

nygiant Member

forgot to mention that the guy is basically my neighbor since he lives in the same subdivision. so I dont want any enemies close to home lol

also, when the cops came they looked at it said word for word "i don't see any damage"
    i'm like wtf how is that for you to decide

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  3. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Filing a claim will show up on Carfax...which will probably lower the value greater than the bumps and bruises...
    Leave it...it shows character!

4. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Let it go. It's just a car that will get war marks over time.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Get him to pay for it on the side... I don't see how that would make enemies. If I hit someone, I'd want to make it right.

6. nygiant

nygiant Member

agreed. i will let it go and cancel the claim.

his insurance called me a couple hours ago - i guess my insurance informed them. i expressed hesitation with moving forward with the claim, so they set me up with an appointment to have the damage looked at on sunday and said i could cancel it if i liked.

theres an indentation from where the bumper hit the support, but its not noticeable unless you look directly at it. *shrug