Recommendations s on Paint/Body shops

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by liltoua, Jun 10, 2012.

1. liltoua

liltoua Member

Hey guys any personal recommendations on a paint/body shop? My car is due for a paint job. I have minor body work that needs to be done and I need a decent paint job. I'm looking to spend no more $1500 on everything, but if it's worth it, I'm willing to spend more. If you have any recommendations let me know =)

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Artcraft in Smyrna is awesome. They've done quite a bit of work to other members rides and used to be a site sponsor.

3. liltoua

liltoua Member

Thx Matt I'll check them out

4. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Wagenwerks up in Alpharetta does some nice work as well.

5. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

Artcraft did "ok" work for me. There was overspray on the wheels, my rear windshield bracket/molding was not snapped in properly when they returned a dirty dusty (from paint / sanding) car to me.

Their customer service is good and they were apologetic for the condition the car was returned in. Offered me a free car detail which I never went back for. I needed my car for work so I detailed it on my own time. I couldn't afford to not have access to my car.

Besides that the paint matched perfectly and it was blended well. The bodywork was flawless. Would I go back? Probably not.

6. liltoua

liltoua Member

I was thinking of Wagenwerks, but it seems like there super busy and I don't want to wait a month for my car. I was considering Bryson, but I'm not sure how busy they are atm. I gotta see what my options are.

7. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Bryson/wagenwerks is one guy so it will be kinda slow. I know 3 people with cars up there now that have been waiting awhile and might want to pm J_P on his experience.

He is running a $800 special for racecar paint jobs though.

8. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

just know that virtually all paint/body shops over promise and under deliver

9. lucky13

lucky13 Member

Check out black and fuller in marietta/Smyrna. Heard a few great reviews from friends.

10. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

Whoa..what exactly is a racecar paint job? I'm looking to get my car painted pretty soon.

11. subigrl

subigrl Member

12. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I've had nothing but problems out of Magnum. There is a thread on here about it somewhere.

Also Cicio had some work done on the 370z when he had it and had issues as well.

Not somewhere I would recommend

13. subigrl

subigrl Member

not a problem

i've had 2 out of 3 of my cars in their shop several times. never a problem for me.. but then I tend to catch more flies

14. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

A paint job that looks good on track that you won't mind destroying lol. Not sure what all it entails but he does liveries too

15. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

My last body shop experience was very disappointing. Raziel, I would welcome the experience you described with Artcraft. After 5 1/2 months (1st 4 months, then brought it home and waited 4 months to get it back in, then another month and a half) I finally got it back and there were still several issues. However, there was no way I was leaving it there any longer or bringing it back. Several issues with the paint work itself and I'm still playing the "what's missing" game.

Yerrow just about hit the nail on the head. So choose the lesser of the evils. Unless you personally know those running the shop and they will take care of you on that basis or you are another shop, vendor, known loud mouth in the community that can effect their business then it's a gamble.

Also, in my experience it seems to help if you have a really expensive car. Subarus are not that. My 05 STi is not any better than a civic to some of these shops. It definitely shows in what some like to call "customer service". I'm sure some are sick of hearing me and others hanging on AllPro's nuts, but they do it right. I just wish they could also paint and tune.

$800? better call Maaco

16. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'll have to call Jeff @ ArtCraft about this. Disappointing to read.