Resonated Mid-Pipe

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by BelvnAWD, Feb 10, 2005.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Okay, I bought Dlowman's Stock STI axelback. It looks muuuuch better and adds a hint of sound to the exhaust. It would be nice if it was a tad louder. Porter said that the resonator on the WRX midpipe was larger than on the STI. My question, WTF does a resonator do? Is it just to dampen sound? If I got a straight through midpipe, would this increase the sound of the exhaust tremendously or just a little? Are there aftermarket midpipes with smaller resonators? Its a newb question for sure... :confused:

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

bah forget that. Go with a TurboXS stealthback, it will still bolt up to that axleback and has a great downpipe also.

You could just get a muffler shop to make you a straight pipe instead of the resonator. Getting rid of cats will also make your car a little bit louder.

3. ADVNTUR

ADVNTUR New Member

I went with MadDad intermediate pipe to replace my stock resonator pipe. The fit was perfect -- bolted right on to my DP and prodrive axel back with stock bolts and the stock doughnut gasket. In hindsight though, I'm sure that I could have saved a few bucks by just having one made locally -- good idea.

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

u want loud.... go with helix and blitz :D

5. BelvnAWD

Milo,
    While I dig the way your exhaust sounds, I am not sure the wife or neighbors would apprciate it. I really like the look of the STI exhaust, I just wish it had a little more burble or rumble to it. As the resonator specifically fights this, I think getting and STI mid pipe or a straight through pipe might do the trick...

Advntur,
    Where do you buy MadDad products?

6. ADVNTUR

ADVNTUR New Member

7. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I went with the Stromung cat-back which is like the Prodrive, not very loud at all, and the Helix UP/DP which is one of the loudest bellmouth

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I will probably do a stealthback on my STi, and or godspeed dp; either that or go with a TBE from APS ($$$).

9. BelvnAWD

Does the maddad halfback pipe delete the third cat? I am not ready for that yet. The stromung intermediate pipe looks like what I want. I'll have to keep an eye out for a used one on Nabisco...Alternately, Alex, if you plan on swapping your stock exhaust out soon, I'd give you some money for your mid pipe...

10. ADVNTUR

ADVNTUR New Member

Nope, the Maddad mid-pipe bolts on after the 3rd cat -- using stock bolts and the stock doughnut gasket. The version I have is just a simple straight pipe to replace the stock resonator pipe. The new version looks like it has a flex joint.