Restoration project ideas.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RamblinWRX, Feb 27, 2006.

1. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

I was considering this past week, oh what to do with tax refund money over the summer. The initial idea was to get cobb stg.2 stuff for the car, but i then decided i don't want to jeopardize my warranty at all, so black knight is staying stock.

I still think that autocrossing is great and want to build a project car from salvage or insurance theft returns. I am currently thinking a 1993 Mazda RX-7 (3rd gen) or 1988+ 2nd gen Turbo and getting for around 4k (blue book for "fair condition" e.g. rolling and running with wear and tear is 9k on the FD), hopefully with not much body/chassis work needed. I've seen a few good deals where everything is peachy but the interior is smashed up from theft, gives an excuse to get gauges and bucket seats i guess. Then renting some tools and doing an engine rebuild. I have priced these kits at around $700-1000, depending on whether you get oil pump etc.
    So a few questions
    1) What's your experience with these cars assuming a good engine after a rebuild, their handling and power characteristics.
    2) What amount of work am i getting myself into? I don't mind dragging this out a while, but just to know.
    3) Are there any rotary tuners/mechanics around here? I know of one in Louisiana but thats it.

Anyway, i'll be starting this up come july when i make some bank. Thanks in advance for comments.

2. AWD_Tiger

AWD_Tiger Member

I will tell Mike(FCGuy) to chime in.. he has owned a second gen turbo and now owns a first gen that he is making into an auto-x car.

3. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I know this is a little off, but wouldn't a slightly older vette be a great Auto X car?

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i have seen c4 vettes do incredibly well at the autoX

5. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

get a miata! they are fun!

6. FCguy

FCguy New Member

ROTARY ALL THE WAY BROTHER! Frist off you do NOT want a 3rd gen FD as an auto-x car, they are classed SO high you will never do well (plus parts are $$$). A second gen is a great car because people part them out everyday so parts are everywhere and aftermarket support isnt too bad. A first gen is what I would go with for a budget build. The aftermarket support is less than appealing for frist gens but more of these were sold (i think) and so many are being parted out (super easy to find stock parts). The best part about FBs are they are very light (2300lbs STOCK... easily 2100, if you go crazy you can get below 2000lbs). Also an FB in NICE condition (12A) can be had for $1000. Good examples of FCs (esp S5s (89-91) and turboIIs) are geting harder and harder to find for a good price.

Really if you want a good fast auto-x car an FB with a 12A (carb) is the way to go. The motor is MUCH MUCH more reliable and easy to work with (stock 3mm apex seals).

Heres what ya do. Buy a frist gen with a 12A. STRIP IT the hell out! Put in stiff shocks, stiff ass front springs, cut the rear springs (trust me, everyone does this, rear springs you buy are the same exact thing usually), remove the rear sway bar, remove emissions and mod the carb(if you get into it Ill give you the low down on the carb... simple external mods really). And depending what class you want to run in a 3rd link (panhard bar) and bushings (lower classes use poly or delrin, but sphearical brearings rule if your class allows them). There are a couple of other do dads, some class special (like turn in spacers) some not but thats about what you will need.

Clemson (where Clayton goes) has a club car 1st gen and it will place in top of its class and finish first with the right driver. So if your looking to go fast. GO FIRST GEN

BTW the best ones to buy are 84-85 GSL's (GS's dont have an LSD)

And if you have enough money the fuel injected GSLSE (13B) is better but the motor isnt as reliable and parts are harder to find, but it has better brakes, suspension, lug pattern, and a little more power. Anyways if you really do want to get into auto-xing ANY 7 then RX7club.com is your next stop... wow... my hands hurt. If you want to know more let me know and Ill try and show up at a WRXatlanta event and answer all your questions. Whew

7. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Someday I still want to do either an RB25 or SR20 into an older 70s Datsun Z. I think that'll make for a fun auto-x car without having to bother with any of the finicky nature of rotaries.

FCGuy is just trying to justify having a dead RX-7 in his driveway :keke:

8. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

i dunno, because i'm so used to driving turbo cars i thought i'd stick with it. I see that the 3rd gen's are in super stock(whoa) class with the vette z06s, that's stupid. I'm kind of torn between getting a car just for auto-x and getting a 3rd gen because i like the styling and sequential TT.
    How about something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazd...iewItemQQcategoryZ6327QQitemZ4614993223QQrdZ1

If i can get a turbo II for a good price is that worth it over the 85 gsl? I had the impression they were still light cars with respectable handling.

9. AWD_Tiger

AWD_Tiger Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: