Richard Hammond in critical condition after Crash

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FTZ, Sep 20, 2006.

1. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/5365676.stm

TV presenter critical after crash

The presenter is being treated at Leeds General Infirmary
    Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond is in a critical condition in hospital after a crash in a jet-powered car while filming for the programme.
    The presenter, 36, was taken by air ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary which has a special neurological unit.

A North Yorkshire Ambulance Service spokesman said he was unconscious when they got to the scene and a hospital spokesman described him as "critical".

The BBC confirmed the presenter had been injured during a Top Gear shoot.

Inspector Mike Thompson, of North Yorkshire Police, said officers were dealing with the incident at Elvington airfield, a former RAF base, in North Yorkshire.

He said: "At 5.45pm this evening we received a report via the fire service of a male person trapped in what was described as an overturned jet car which had been driven on the airfield.

"The male occupant has received serious injuries and has been airlifted to hospital at Leeds."

The presenter was born in Birmingham, educated in Yorkshire and lives near Cheltenham.

In addition to presenting Top Gear for the BBC, he also fronted Brainiac on Sky One until recently.

[​IMG]

2. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

3. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

man I hope he pulls through..I found him to be entertaining both on topspeed and braniac

4. blink

blink Member

man right when i was really starting to like him. I hope he pulls through with no serious problems.

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

it sucks but this shows that bad things also happen to good drivers... hope he pulls through ok :(

6. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

Damn....a jet car accident has to be pretty serious...I hope he was well protected and can pull through....

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I liked that guy, he was perfect comic relief to Jeremy!

8. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Well wishes for him. Hasn't topspeed had an inordinate amount of close calls lately though?

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

Are you still feeling guilty about driving off the side of a mountain? ;)

It's a great show and hope he comes out with just a bump on the head.

10. Demo24

Demo24 Member

He's now in stable condition. Be interesting to see what they say about it when Top Gear comes back

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

nope... it helped me get an STi ;)

12. Man that sucks...I hope he gets well soon!

13. jayj713

jayj713 Member

aww that sucks :( hope he'll be ok

14. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Hopefully he will pull through.

15. :( "Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond has suffered a “significant brain injury” after crashing a jet-powered car at speeds of up to 300mph during filming."

16. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

o crap, that sux.....i hope the best for him

17. Hes doing better now!

18. Demo24

Demo24 Member

19. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

20. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

:bigthumb:

21. Mad Mallard