Rotax TaG kart

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by nicad, Jun 28, 2012.

1. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

here's my new toy:

[​IMG]

Arrow AK9 B-Max chassis. 32mm frame with 50mm rear axle
    rotax 125cc two-stroke making around 28hp

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

nice little setup

3. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Very nice. Thinking about doing some WKA events as well?

4. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Nice. I did some karting about 8 years ago and would love to get back into it.

5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

maybe. dunno. as a sport it has been on the decline a little. I have the kart track membership also at AMP so I'm going up there a lot

need to buy a mychron and a transponder

6. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Nicad where does one go karting in this area? What orgnanizations are there?

would love to go karting.

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

got a track down in Barnesville, GSKA series

8. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

TaG has died down in barnesville... guy I bought the kart from races down there. said everyone has switched over to yamaha can

9. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

We used to run them at SCCA AutoX events out west. Can you do that here?

10. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I believe so, last autox I attended there was a group of kids that went out on their Karts. It was only for like one session though so idk if It was something for the kids or actually competitive.

11. Texsun

Texsun Member

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

you can, but I don't think I would. It would need to be a smooth parking lot. just running around the neighborhood causes the seat to scrape a little

13. stirhino

stirhino Member

14. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Badass dude. Will it make it out for an appearance at Petit? ;)

15. b reel

b reel Active Member

that won't end well

16. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

that thing is wicked

17. Texsun

Texsun Member

Post up a video!

18. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

19. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

How do you transport this thing?

20. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

fits in the back of the tahoe

that said...justin bought the first toy, he gets to buy trailer

21. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Hitch on the m5....haul in style.

22. 07Ltd#767

i was pushing for the roof rack, just throw it on top :rofl:

23. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

That would be class. Build ramps so you can just drive it up like those Shriner guys.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  24. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

getting a hitch for the volvo

once I replace the suspension and tires on it

been reading about tuning the thing. the PV on the exhaust is pretty neat. under 7500rpm it shuts to provide low end torque. opens above 7500rpm for power

explains why the engine was bogging when I rode it around - forgot to put the damn thing on and it was open the entire time. above 7500rpm you can really tell the powerband difference

25. 07Ltd#767

yeah...it's fucking fast.

joy rides ftw

26. xcritic

xcritic Member

Sweet me too. I guess ill be seeing you there.

Here's mine. Its a rotax dd2. Poor thing has been sitting unused in the garage since march waiting for the track to be paved.

[​IMG]

27. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

badass. isn't the DD2 a two-speed?

what data system will you be running? I think I'll pick up a used mychron 3

transponder? I emailed jeremy to figure out what transponder I would need for the track

currently looking for a helmet I can use double duty for karting and in car driving. anyone have any suggestions?

28. xcritic

xcritic Member

Yeah its a 2 speed, direct drive so no chains or gears... Well sort of there are still gears that can be changed but they are in a gear box.

Kart came with a mycron 4 and the fully integrated wheel. See pic. It also came with the IR transmitter beacon. So i think im pretty well setup.

I went out to the track today and drove the kart track in my car a few times to get a feel for how its going to be.... its going to be insane and pretty scary in some places. Looks like they only need one more layer of asphault and the track will be paved, i would guess a couple more weeks depending on what in addition to paving they still need to do. However i dont know that i would ever want to run a car on it at any speed. As for helmet i've been looking at the bell helmets they seem good, but for now ill be using my arai motorcycle helmet.

[​IMG]

29. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

sweet. you got the full size rear bumper also. I need to pick one up (and a movable stand)

are you using the AIM IR transponder? what are you towing it up to the track with?

the topspeed guys talked about getting karts for up there. wonder if they will follow through...

30. xcritic

xcritic Member

Yeah the aim ir transmitter.

I'm towing with my sti and the harbor freight 4x8 folding trailer. Its just big enough for the kart and stand the rest of stuff will fit in trunk

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

picked up a mychron 3 today on ebay

are you going to remove the rear wheels to get it to fit on a 4' wide trailer?

32. xcritic

xcritic Member

Nope, rear tires only overhang about 2 inches on each side. I only need to remove the front bumper to have enough room for the kart stand. Then just strap everything down.

33. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

i have a buddy who has 2 of these that he used to run, he may sell them if anyone is looking to join in the fun...i tried to get him to get them both running again so we could have some fun on the road.

34. jrat

jrat Member

nice, i'm jealous. been debating on whether to get a beater to make rallyX my hobby (a la top gear) or buy a kart to get into karting

35. Texsun

Texsun Member

RallyX would be fun! Expensive for sure! You should buy my car to make your rallyX haha Karting has always seemed awesome to me, but I cant justify spending the money only being able to use it on specific tracks. Would be awesome if it had some all terrain setup so you could haul ass down dirt roads!

this is more my speed :) Redneck at heart! TROLOLOLOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7FcL1eqwsE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0bN7PBfpo

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  36. 07Ltd#767

if it didn't cost so damn much at AMP (or, if they would just offer kart memberships again), I'd look into this.

However, I'm not paying the now $15k down payment and monthly nonsense that comes with the entire package. It's a shame that they've essentially out priced (though I understand why they did it) this sector, as it could potentially be a lot of fun.

37. J_P

Too rich for my blood, I either need to be somebody's guest or part of the pit crew :rofl:

38. jrat

jrat Member

haha, i said a beater, texsun! wish i could afford your STi as a toy car :)

totally agree, hard for me to justify a toy like that...i just know i wouldnt be able to use it as much as i would like. similar to a boat/jet ski. but i love the idea of it...really wish my parents would have gotten me into it as a kid. i could be an f1 driver by now! :)

39. b reel

b reel Active Member

makes it even worse for us southside rednecks now that DiscoveryParts is moving to AMP. Of course Ron is all happy now that he can run the 240Z during lunch

40. 07Ltd#767

well, in about 45 minutes, I'm about to beat the piss out of this kart. Just waiting for the tag office employees across the street to GTFO.

I figure posting this about 45 minutes out gives me enough time to take some victory laps before Nicad can make it through traffic...at which point, i'll just outrun his M5 in the kart

41. lucky13

lucky13 Member

what part of marietta you guys in? i wanna come watch!!

42. 07Ltd#767

across the street from the tag office

t-minus 20 minutes

43. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

south cobb and atlanta st

44. lucky13

lucky13 Member

One of you guys pm me your number?!

45. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

PM sent.

46. J_P

might be too late...I show 2 mins left... NEED VIDEO!!!

47. lucky13

lucky13 Member

Have video. Will upload tonight.

48. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

false. I was five minutes away. they really ought to paint that speed bump

49. lucky13

lucky13 Member

Epic fail on my part, I cannot believe I did this but...when I was getting out of the van I accidentally hit the record button and then when I actually wanted to start recording...I stopped it.>( and then when I wanted to stop this supposed recording, I started one. And recorded drew for two seconds and then stopped the recording again. DAMNIT!!!!! >(

50. xcritic

xcritic Member

You dont need the full package. They are still offering a kart only package... At least according to there website.