S-afc II ????

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Eta1405, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Eta1405

Eta1405 Member

I was pondering using one of these. (Girlfriend slipped and mentioned what I may be getting for Christmas because she has the hookup somewhere) I looked around on some other boards and websites to get pros and cons. Some people like them and some say don't use it. Does anyone here have any experience with them on a WRX? I'll more than likely go somewhere to have it tuned. So far I have a catless uppipe and 3" cat back. I'll probably be getting a catless downpipe in the next month or so. I do want some some kind of engine management and this seems like it will make due until I can afford a utec or something.

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I three friends with these. One with an RB25, another with an SR20 and a third with an RX-7.

Its just a fuel computer. Works just like any of the other ones except that you have to tune it by hand instead of typing onto a computer. You can adjust the fuel parameters but no timing adjustments.

I havent heard of anybody using them for a WRX. I was just thinking about them the other day. One thing that might be why is that we have a really smart ECU, it might learn to compensate for the false signals the SAFC sends and then you'll lose power.

Pros: Cheap engine management. Can tune it yourself if needed, any shop will know how to use one.

Cons: Dont know about the SAFC-IIs, but the SAFC I doesnt have any sort of memory. When he got a new battery it erased all of his settings so he had to get it tuned again. Cant disable certain check-engine lights like a unichip, or reflash. ECU might "learn" the settings and lose power.

3. ajw2722

ajw2722 New Member

I wouldn't really see a need for it unless your had more mods that could benefit from Fuel Changes. Maybe if you had Aftermarket Injectors and/or Fuel Rails. :confused:

Also, once you get UTEC, you would not need it anymore. I know it's a present but a little more $ could get you AccessPort. :D

Or, the same $ could get you a Boost Controller, which would benefit you now and even later with UTEC! I have one and love it! :bigthumb:

4. Eta1405

Eta1405 Member

Well with a TBE and an uppipe wouldn't I benefit from some fuel modifications?

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Yes and no.

When we had our dyno day a couple weeks ago the 04s all had some glitch where the power dipped. You can tune out little dips in the powerband with the SAFC but it isnt needed with those base mods.

The stock ECU can handle basic mods pretty well.

6. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

I wouldnt use a S-AFC on a Subaru, works amazingly well on Mistus(Had the AFC and the ITC on my GSX), but with the funky timing on WRX's fit would be very hard to get a solid tune out of an AFC. Id Ecutek or Accessport Used instead.

Jason