S2KAtlanta.com & WRXAtlanta.com @ CMP 8/19

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Alex, May 23, 2006.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Ive been talking with Joe (President) of S2KAtlanta lately trying to plan a few events here and there. The first item to come up has been their track event at CMP. We've been discussing opening a few spots up to WRXAtlanta and I am curious how many would be interested?

Now, CMP is a quicker track than Tally, and apparently more safe. I cannot attest to either as I have yet to run the track. I'm sure more experienced drivers will chime in shortly. If you are interested at all, please post up and let me know and I will see what I can do for us. More information to come within a couple of days.

Food/drink are not included with their event, but I may see about allocating some funding towards food and drink for those who attend the event. This should be easily doable :bigthumb:

A few details...
    • CMP (Carolinamotorsports) is located in Kershaw, SC (4 hour drive)
    • $200 per driver
    • 1 hour and 45min seat time minimum
    • Food and drink are not included
    • Hotel room is about $50 a night before group discount

Potential Sign-Ups
    1. Alex
    2. slowwrx
    3. slowwrx #2
    4. jjang12
    5. gt9729b

Updates! If you would like to attend this, please send $100 deposit via paypal to the boys over at S2k (events@s2katlanta.com); this will ensure your spot on the track. The final $100 is due no later than two weeks before the 19th. Please PM PRIOR to paying, as we can only accept 10 slots at this time. Reply to this thread to be added to the list.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2006
  2. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

it seems a good deal. but can you tell me what is needed in a car so you can track it?

3. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

I'm very interested. Keep us updated, Alex

4. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

OH oh I'm in.

Just let me know when to show up.

My track whore is fully prepped and ready to go now.

Matt

6. Alex

Awesome, glad to see a few enthusastic repsonses! I'll let Joe know later today, I'm venturing to guess we can do easy 5 people (incl. myself) for the event.

All that is needed is the patience, a passion for driving and an attention to proper safety. I would recommend some experience through auto-x events, schools, etc before attending any open track event but that's just me. We had several guys at our track day with zero track experience. All of them had a blast!

I would recommend that you throw on a better set of tires than the stock re92s, and go ahead and upgrade your brake pads and fluid to something slightly more applicable. A CG lock couldnt hurt either. Other than that, just be prepared to learn a lot and have fun!

7. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

[​IMG]

I did this for my first track day and learned a lot. It was fun! It is an easy line to learn. The only think I would recommend is a good set of brakes.

--
    Brian

8. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

usually dates are important to know.

9. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

The s2katlanta date is 8/19 (saturday), and Mere and I are already signed up, as we are members of s2katlanta.

The track is 4 hours away, and it is best to plan on staying for friday and saturday night, which is what I did the first time.

Turn-1 also has DE events that you can do:
    http://www.turnonetrackevents.com/t1m_price.php
    $210 if you register in advance, and you get an instructor in your car for your sessions.

--
    Brian

10. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

this sounds CHOICE... but i will be doing the vaca thing in july.. prob won't have money for rubber :(

11. Alex

nonsense!

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

then your only option for health reasons is abstinence ;)

13. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

illl go to watch!

14. Alex

:keke:

15. slowwrx

WooHoo track day.

16. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Put me down as an interested party. I'll know more as the date gets closer.

17. Alex

Updated, bumpy.

18. Meredith

Meredith Banned

bump for a great track!

19. slowwrx

Ill have two drivers so the car will be running two sessions.

Matt

20. Alex

Done.

21. Trey

Trey Active Member

Sign me up, hopefully the baby will be more stable by then and I can get a day pass..... :p

22. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

wish i had the money to do these events.

23. Alex

Bumpity bump :wiggle:

24. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Are we only buying five spots from s2katlanta? Are more opening up?

25. LazyGun

LazyGun Member

That would be great...except my wife is due on the 22nd of August..and I don't think being in another state around that time would do wonders for my marriage ;)

26. slowwrx

If I need to send money to insure that I have a spot let me know.

27. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I think they are doing deposits; i don't know if Joe is taking deposits from non-s2k members yet.

28. Trey

Trey Active Member

So only 5 peeps? :pssh:

29. Alex

No, they're opening it to the rest of the world on July 19th I believe. But I have requested 5 or so at the min.

30. Meredith

Meredith Banned

The s2k peeps are a nice group, always a lot of fun to hang out with especially at a track :)

31. slowwrx

Good stuff, my cage is going in the 240 this week, Nascar door bars and lexan windows, wooo hoooooooo

32. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

sweet!

33. Trey

Trey Active Member

Yeah, I work with three peeps in the S2k club. Nice group IMO.

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Unfortunately I can't race in this as I have obligations to pay other things off first but if this does go down I will be there for support! Maybe I can get a ride along with someone.

35. slowwrx

I have an extra seat in my 240 now, your welcome to ride along.

36. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

sign me up.

37. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I can't wait to see your 240 in action again, it was a beast at Talladega!

38. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'll definately take you up on that! Thanks!

39. slowwrx

The last time I was there I collapsed a lifter, so now Ive to to put the solid lifters in, its such a huge pain in the ass, I dont really feel like doing it, but I guess I have too.

40. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

wow~ i can't imagine what kind of 240 it'll be. slowwrx, sign me up as well for ride along.

In the mean time, I guess i really need to beef up my brake system. I currently have Hawk HPS pads in the front w/ ATE super blue. Do i need to upgrade rotors and pads??

41. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I would suggest getting the plus pads, CMP is hard on brakes like Talladega is on tires.

42. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

how about front rotors?? will there be significant difference with racing rotors (like COBB or Stoptech)??

43. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Haven't changed my rotors, so I can't give you any advice. I had no problem with my brakes at CMP with the Plus pads and a brake fluid flush.

44. Trey

Trey Active Member

I second the Hawk HP+ pads for the track and daily use. I've had mine on since last Oct. :p (too lazy to remove)

45. Alex

I'll chime in and say that the HPS are definately not worth the investment. Stick with HP+ or greater :D

46. Alex

First post updated.

47. Deke

Deke Active Member

Haha, couldn't we just meet at Felinis or something. I mean, this is like going all the way on the first date. I just want to take it nice and slow at a dinner gathering or maybe a joint install day. Lay on some moves (like a few uppipes and downpipes), and then go for a tender kiss of interstate cruising. You guys are going straight for the buttsex. Anyways...sorry I can't make it. :)

48. Cyclon36

Cyclon36 New Member

Hey Guys,

Just registered here to get some info out on behalf of the S2kAtlanta club. I have alotted 10 spots to WRXAtlanta so far, but if we don't get deposits in, those spots will be open to the public. Just wanted to give you a reminder that if you haven't put your money in yet to do so ASAP as the spots usually go fast once it's open to the public.

Just as a reminder, there is a non refundable deposit of $100 due to hold your spot. The remainder is due two weeks before track day. If you back out, it is your responsibility to sell your spot. This is definitely one of the must fun tracks that is close enough to drive to. Don't be left out.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Joe

49. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

how many signed up so far?

50. Cyclon36

Cyclon36 New Member

I think there were 5 originally interested. So far we haven't received deposits from anybody.