sales tax on out of state car purchase

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JJang12, Jun 16, 2006.

1. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

do (can) the out of state dealers still charge sales tax when you make a purchase?? (new & used both)

2. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

I'm pretty sure they can. You still pay tax based on what county you live in though.

3. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

You'll either pay tax when you buy it or when you register it, period.

4. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

and then ad valorem ;)

5. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I thought it was only the state where you brought the car then the tag & title are from your state unless you have an adresse in that state that you brought it from. but I could be wrong

6. Yup, I had to pull $1680 out of my ass a few months ago when I got my tag for the STi..... bought it in NC...... :wtc:

7. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

Did you buy from a dealer?

8. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

u pay it based on ur county.

9. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

I guess it will be better off buying with private party then. Thanx for all the advices.

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

when i bought my wrx out of statre, i paid like $300 in tax in SC... then when i registered it is GA, i paid the 7% - 300

11. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

Milo, isn't it more like $3,000?? Another sucky part is that If i buy from dealer, I have to pay 8% sales tax since i live in the city of Atlanta.

12. Trey

Trey Active Member

I bought mine at the dealer in FL and they asked my what my county was in GA, I paid the 6% tax for Gwinnett. It was never a big deal whenI got my tags. I only paid once.

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

total tax i had to pay was large... but i had to pay something small (like 300) in SC and then paid the balance in GA

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

In SC $300 is the max the tax is. Yeah us South Carolinian's rock....low sales tax and no inspections :wiggle:

15. WRXEM02

WRXEM02 Member

When buying out of state, you pay the taxes when you register the car in state. So even if u went to oregon and bought a car where there is no sales tax, when u come back to GA and go to get a tag... get that check book ready. Also often times when a car comes from out of state it needs to physically be at the DMV w/ u when its time to register it as they tend to want to "inspect" it since it is infact, from out of state

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Man you GA guys have it hard. All we do here is walk in and get our tags as long as we have the reciept of the tax being paid ($300 max.)

17. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Cars are not part of the 8%

You pay tax based on where you title the car, so if you buy your car in SC and tag it in Fulton Co., then you pay 7%. Some dealers will finance the tax in and then cut a check to the customer for the tax, so you are not haveing to pay it upfront.