savannah= DANGEROUS?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mokinbird87, Apr 11, 2007.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

man, i need to be at savannah next quarter for my school, (because they dont offer my major in atlanta), and i hear stuff about all the students being on drugs, drive by shooting, etc.. i heard that two students were killed down two blocks on the day of the orientation, and some guy got shot while driving, and ran into the fuse for the campus, causing all the lights to go out...

i`m scared!! i dont know if my degree is worth my life..

2. Deke

Deke Active Member

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. It's not neccesarily the best neighborhood, but certainly no worse than Macon or Atlanta (at least downtown).

SCAD?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

It has a high crime rate, but then again so does Atlanta.

As with anything, if you're smart about it you will find little problems.

4. LightWerkz

LightWerkz New Member

well said alex!

5. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

just don't act like a victim. be aware.

6. savsuby

savsuby Member

I live in Savannah. I love living here.

7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I lived near Centennial Olympic Park for a couple years. Not the best neighborhood around Georgia Tech. Live smart and you will be fine.

8. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

alex is correct.
    we do have a high crime rate here, but then again, so does atlanta. you just have to be aware of your surroundings. before i bought my house, i lived downtown in what some people call "an up and comming" neighborhood. it was a completly different perspective for me since i grew up in the 'burbs of atl.

as to the drug thing, i don't know figures, but i know many of the scad students use drugs. just stay away from student parties and you will probably have to never run into that. hell, most of the scad parties i went to just had alcohol, but if you stay long enough, you will see other stuff.

all in all, savannah is a beautiful city with lots of history and if you are smart and aware you will enjoy it here without any problems.

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

When I went in the early 90's it was not a safe place. "Being aware" helps prevent becoming a victim, but always living on edge gets old. I had some friends going to school down there and drugs were everywhere. They didn't inhale... ;)

10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

For its size, it does have a fair amount of crime. Compared to say Charleston (which is close in population size) it's about twice as bad... but compared to Atlanta it's nothing to worry about. :)

11. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

If you're looking for unsafe crime ridden cities, try Russia. I know I did!

12. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

It is a little dangerous in the downtown area. Especially in the hood, but Atlanta is way, way worse. You just have to make sure you're living outside of the city. There's a lot of small towns around Savannah and that's where I'd be living, despite whatever commute, if I just had to go to school there.

13. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

yea, i figure that i would just try to live smart like i do here in atlanta (in fact i live in suwanee and commute from home), so it is definitely a lot more relieving. i guess most of my friends from savannah make it sound aweful because they expected so much from the school (considering the amount of money we pay). now that i`m not worried about being shot, i need to start worrying about my car. i dont wanna be missing rims and stuff..