Scalping

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Deke, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Deke

Deke Active Member

Haha, so as I figured, no one on here wants a single Ben Folds ticket. So my question is, what are the laws regarding scalping? I've always been a little weary of it, but I have no idea about the legality issues.

2. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

I believe that they can only be sold at face value

3. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Bens Fold is awesome, but concerts are difficult to get to these days....

4. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

put it on craigslist...it should go quick.

5. Deke

Deke Active Member

That's fine, I'm not looking to make a profit. Are there any laws about how close you are to the venue? Basically, If walking up to the venue, I were to loudly say, "I've got a ticket that I want to get rid of for $30" would there be anything wrong with that? (Being that tickets cost +$40)

6. Deke

Deke Active Member

Haha, I didn't even think about that. Dealing with random Atlanta people scares me a little bit, but I don't imagine Ben Folds tickets would really draw out the creepers.

Edit: Alright, posted on craigslist and I emailed someone who had posted a want ad for a ticket. Thanks for the tip.

I'm still curious what exactly the laws are regarding scalping (just for future reference).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  7. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I am very confused by the laws because I see tickets on CL all the time for 2-3X the face value and I see people at events selling tickets all the time, and I know they aren't selling at face value!

8. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

sort of like when people DT ask you for money....

9. Deke

Deke Active Member

PS, I now love CL. I had two hits within 10 minutes and already have a buyer lined up for face value on the ticket.

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

its when you sell them cheaper than the box office that you get in trouble. cuz you're undercutting their profits.

although you can still get in trouble for making a profit off of them too. technically any tickets for sale outside of like 100 yard radius of the venue is ok. i think thats what it is at turner field anyways.

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Which doesn't really make sense considering sites like stubhub are there for that very purpose... I just paid $178 total for 2 crappy lawn tickets to see Dave Mathews on Vividseats.com that would have cost about $100 total if I got them before they sold out.. But thats the price I paid for not doing my homework and getting them on time... Don't see how thats better that some dude hanging out in front of the venue selling them for cheap.