School Bridge Project!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dark_Templer102, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Anyone whos prob done this can help me and my group a bit.

Obviously its to see who hold the most weight and also compared to weight of bridge to weight it can hold

Rules and Terms:
    We are useing 3/32 inch basswood.
    Cannot laminate basswood, but can glue together, notche, cut, and sand it.

Cannot weight more then 30 grams
    must be longer then 300 mm shorter then 400mm (basically...its not huge)
    Taller then 100mm, and must extend below itself 15mm to 25 mm (imagine 2 tables pushed together with a flat bridge on inbetween, there must be bottom part extending downwards)
    Cannot be wider then 80mm

MUST have arch-type or an A-frame

And it will be put to the test with small wooden block with a hook which you hook on the weights. The stress will be put in the middle of the bridge (does not need to be like an actual bridge...as in there does not need to be a place where a "car" would have to travel through, thus you can make some weird square thing to help hold weight holder thing)

The place where the weight holder will be put on will be 5 to 10 mm above the supporting surfaces...

Anyone got any good ideas besides "Triangles are the strongest"?

2. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

I have a few ideas but notching the wood at that tiny of a size is nuts (just some basic wood working things)
    you have access to a laser cutter?

3. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

try doing the choo choo.. ;)

4. Er...laser cutter no.....

5. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

dang we did this back in middle school

6. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Find the strongest glue possible. put in as many triangles as possible.

7. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

We did this group for Mr. Hamilton's physics class in 11th grade, my groups bridge held the most weight. If I can find some pictures I'll post them, but basically our whole structure was under the platform and we had arches running through the middle of our rectangles that ran the length of the bridge for more support.

8. i can't picture what you are saying...rectangles with arches in the middle of them?

9. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

|..........____________________ .....|
    |...../..................................... \...|
    |../.......................................... \.|
    |/............................................. \|

Ignore the dots, they were so the spaces would stay

The box being the rectangle that spans the length of the bridge, one per side, and that funky looking crap in the middle is supposed to be an arch. With that it supports the very center of the bridge, where you would choose to put the holder on the the weight dangles from. Worked well for us.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  10. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I wish I could help. Basically I'd just start building and see what I could come up with. I guess I'm really a trial and error sort of person. :dunno:

11. A CRUDE drawing....

We are trying to put ALL the weight on the very top of the arch...the arch can only 3.5 cm tall though (maxed), thus a tight fit on the 2 ends of the table

[​IMG]

12. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

That's roughly the design we had, but when we did our arches we doubled it up with 2 (one under the other). We also had a flat laoding point (it was the requirement for the project that year). Then we threw in as many triangles as we could, even between the arch and the rectangle it was implanted in. We also won the best looking bridge award, securing my A in the class :D. Viel Gluck (good luck)!

Craig

13. I think ours has to be flat to put it in this anyways.

So Triangles or Xs?

14. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

Triangles

[​IMG]

That was basically what we did, from what I remember. However that was 2 years and thousands of beers ago, my memory could be shot to hell by now.

Craig

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  15. See wouldn't the Xs in squares up top not do anything? they aren't giveing away any weight...

16. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I dno, we just thought it looked badass at the time

17. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Yea, timmy didn't you know? looking badass lets you put like 50lbs more.

18. 50lbs of torque? Like a Type-R sticker on the bridge should help right?

19. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

When I say that I mean I was in 10th grade and just had ideas about what worked best, from looking at real bridges and crap like that. But our bridge held more than any bridge did that entire year at our school, so that's gotta count for something. And actually the triangles up top would help, because it would stop the whole bridge from bending too far down in the middle. It will help keep it more stable and rigid, which will help it hold for a little bit longer.

Craig

20. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

ever tryed the roman technqie?
    good luck.. lol