Seagate to release 750GB Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FTZ, Apr 27, 2006.

1. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1896

A PDF accidentally showed up on Seagate's website earlier today with the latest details on perpendicular desktop hard drives

Seagate insiders contacted us early this morning with a few snippets of information (PDF) concerning the upcoming Barracuda 7200.10 series hard drives. Like other Barracuda drives, the 7200.10 series are based on 7,200RPM spindles.

Two 750GB models have already shown up on the Seagate website. The Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640A (PATA) and the ST3750640SA (SATA) will be two new models we can look forward to seeing this year. The Seagate webpage reveals dozens of other NCQ-ready 7200.10 based products ranging from 200GB on up. Cache information was not available via the website yet, but the official Seagate PDF claims the Barracuda 7200.10 series will come with 16MB and 8MB buffers. Considering these two drives will be the best of breed for Seagate, it is fairly safe to assume these drives will have 16MB caches.

Seagate representatives have told us that the information posted was "very premature" and was not be posted on the website for several weeks. Seek time information has not been released yet, which has traditionally been considered the problem area for perpendicular recording devices. However, the 7200.10 datasheet claims all drives in the series will have a 4.16ms average latency time.

Several days ago Seagate announced its Cheetah 15K.5 series drives based on 15,000RPM platters. The Cheetah 15K.5 series also uses perpendicular recording to increase densities, but is solely limited to SCSI right now. Pricing is not available yet on either the 15K.5 or 7200.10 series. All Seagate hard drives come with 5-year warranties.

2. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i love seagate, they make tasty platters :hug:

3. Brian

Brian Active Member

Nice. At some point our hard drives will be able to hold every piece of music ever made in mp3 form for the most massive illegal mp3 collection possible!!! (j/k)

Dream setup=5+ 750GB 15k drives in RAID 5. Plus a hot spare of course. My Raid 0 (2) 120GB does for now though. :)

4. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

just a thought... image how LONG it will take to defrag a full drive that size?!

5. longfury

longfury Active Member

Seagate is expected to release 1 TB(Terabyte) hard drives by the end of the year.

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

man thats huge.. consider this: in 1981, referring to computer memory, Bill Gates said, "640K (roughly 1/2 of a megabyte) ought to be enough for anybody."

7. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

he IS a slow one that Bill.

8. longfury

longfury Active Member

Of course when he said that he was right. I don't think anyone in computers at that time realized what was about to happen.

I personally want 2 of those Terabyte drives. Set them up in RAID 1 and use them for a massive back up. I keep my OS and apps(no data) on a RAID 0. I want 2 36GB 10K RPM Raptor drives from Western Digital. I don't use more than 40GB on my boot drives. But I have hundreds of gigs of data I could store on those terabyte drives.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

wow, just wow :eek3:

10. I dont know anything about computer i just know with that much space i should be able to hold my movies and music and not be like iam now with only 5 gigs avail. space left.

11. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

80GB is not enough for me. I wouldn't mind a 200GB hard drive. But... 1TB?! I'd think I wouldn't need anymore space than that... BUT if I did have that space I'd probably download music and movies I don't even like, just for the sake of having them.

12. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

outpost had 500gb WD 7200rpm SATA drives for $130 earlier today. Damn, storage is getting cheap!

--
    Brian

13. RADON

RADON Member

I have an Infrant ReadyNAS X6 now with 4 400GB drives in a RAID 5 (1.2TB) and it's full. I've ripped all my DVD's and use it as a media/file server. I can't wait till 1TB drives... 3TB RAID5, delicious.

http://www.infrant.com/products_ReadyNAS_X6.htm

14. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Sounds nice radon..

wish i was bored enough to pony up the money for a new back plane in my Sun Box. 20 scsi drives.. blahhhh..

15. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

thats HUGE! i saw a 300gig come out a few months ago and i thougth that was big.

16. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

So has anybody gotten one of those monsters yet? I'm curious to see how they do.