Searching for a new camera and need some help

Discussion in 'Art & Photography' started by rexrocker, Aug 1, 2007.

1. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

I'm in the market for a new camera since my Canon Powershot (forget the model #) from about 4 years ago died. I'm interested in a compact, high MP (7.1 +), LCD display, etc. with the caveat that I am no photographer and don't plan on becoming one. :D

I am looking at the Canon Powershot line again...the SD800 IS through the SD1000. Any camera guys and gals have any suggestions? I'm open to other brands beyond Canon.

Thanks in advance! :coolugh:

2. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I would be a little leary of basing your purchase on high MP counts. Unless you go very high end (and even then...) cramming more sensors on the same size die leads to image noise. I would check out this camera: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...rogram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

as well as the Fuji F series cameras (F50 fdis the newest I think..)

Check Steves Digital Camera Reviews as well as DPreview...good luck!

3. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Most people have zero use for anything past ~5 megapixels so yeah, don't worry about anything past that. But check out the A550. It's pretty capable.

edit: I should clarify my statement a bit. Most people will never in their life print out anything past roughly 8x10, and even 3-4 megapixels suffice for a print that will pass as 'excellent' in most everyone's eyes. Not to mention the majority of digital images never get printed at all, and just viewed on an LCD where the resolution is like to be no more than 1-2 megapixels. Also, as Belvn mentioned megapixelmasturbation by the camera companies often leads to more noise resulting in an image that's effectively WORSE.

PS: you could always use film :p

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  4. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Point taken on the megapixel-masturbation. :D Thanks for the comments guys.