Seat help

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Mad Mallard, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

04 wrx

So... the gauge will have to wait, it looks like.

The car has 230,000 miles on the stock seat and my rear has broken whatever support there was to give in that thing.

I was thinking I would just get to replacing the seats whenever, but I suffered a nerve/disc compression injury, and sitting with poor support only makes it worse. :(

I commute almost an hour each way, and have a 10 hour desk job. so I gotta fix what I can where I can.

-----

am I better off trying to get a straight seat replacement for my money?

or going somewhere for a custom seat cushion be made? (and can someone recommend a place)

here's what I want:

I want to keep OEM seat airbag functions.
    I plan on keeping the car until it falls apart, so I want a quality seat.
    and if it is a used seat, I want less than 30k in wear or new for my money.

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Just find someone selling some stock seats and call it a day.

3. Mad Mallard

to be honest with you, i didn't like the longevity of the original seat all that much either. It was pretty much broken in the arse-cushion to me by 80k miles.

So i'm looking at other options for my money.

4. Mad Mallard

apparently, there isn't many.

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Recaro. Sparco. Those are the 2 I would look into. JPM can get either, but they're the only authorized Recaro dealer in the southeast.

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

You can buy the cushions from the dealer to reinstall in the seat.

You just don't seem like the type that would be happy in an aftermarket seat that wasn't a La-Z-Boy, talking comfort and longevity and all :rofl:

7. Mad Mallard

lol

the other problem is the oem stuf aint cheap. if I can get something lots better for only a few percent more in cost, i figured i'd at least ask around rather than assume there wuznt

i have wheelchair bound family, so I asked and was referred to this guy

http://www.vprousa.com/

i'll see what he can do after AWA.

8. Mad Mallard

this guy said i'd be better off, given the complexity of the seat pattern, at getting another OEM seat in good condition and just reinforcing the arse cushion

9. Mad Mallard

found another promising place. price extremely competitive. will advise when I have an update...

10. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

I'd be interested in what you come across.