Seriously Thinking..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WrxCrazy, Jun 8, 2006.

1. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

I'm

About?

My Car......

Should i trade in for a toyota primus?
    maybe a B9 ?
    Or a BAJA?
    Thinking.....

Hard....
    :eek:hnoes: :hsugh:

What should i do?
    i was thinking about a STI, maybe a 05 or used 06 hopefully?
    I dunno i'm going to go SOG with a print out of my profile......
    and see how much trade in value i can get out.. over all i need help to take out couple of parts such as down pipe and the cat bak.. hopefully any1 here has a stock catbak and downpipe?? i can trade u mine for it if i'm gonna be tradeing my car in for another one.. u could be nice and give a little top money.. not asking alot.. but hopefully enuff to get it out of here..

anyway pm me if u have stock parts such as stock intake, stock catbak, stock downpipe, my bov for a stock one, also i have greedy evoII catbak, invidia downpipe, my up pipe is not installed selling that also. . come on guys.. i know some of u want this stuff.. also u have to take it off and put stock ones back in.. that would be help full.... i get off 6 o clock everyday and dont work on sunday. PM ME..

tHINKING.. what u guys think i should do?

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Well, you list some pretty different vehicles... what is it you're looking for and where does your current car fall short?

3. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

current car is giving me major money crisis... i got everything fixed , the tranny and everything even a little problem, my mom is on my head telling me to trade it off.. . i mean i like this car, it's fast, fun, quick, worth every penny i put in it yet, but the problem is i'm not completely satisified with it..
    i need something that i look forward everyday to ride..
    i love this car it's worth the money in spent in... but i think it's time for her to go.. :(

i need something that i would invest my passion in, i'm not a big person who does auto-xin or tracking but i would like to.. and wrx is giving me problems i cant fix.. money is the issue...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  4. welcome to the world of moding cars...Just keep that in mind any car that you take from stock and add things to HAS the chance of breaking which will be the chance you take. Take me for instance if it can go work it has. and i park it save up and fix it. Its cost me a ton of money but ive learn so much in the past 6 months not granted im more and likely getting rid of it but i had an offer i cant refuse and found an Sti so out with the old in with the new.

5. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

whatever you get g'luck to ya Shady! i have the greddy evoII on my STi so whoever gets that from ya will like it i'm sure.

6. Well, I can say from experience that if you go from a quick turbo car to a NA car you will be severely dissapointed in it very quickly. The exception to that is the necessity of a large family vehicle or something, and in that case you just have to bite the bullet and get a SUV.

Of course there is always the forester XT solution for that...

My personal priority list is:

1 - HAS to be a turbo. Hell, even my wifes family vehicle - suburban - is a turbo (diesel)
    2 - awd - now that I am used to it, I rely on it. nothing sucks like spinning the front tires when pulling into traffic
    3 - aftermarket support. All cars have it, but how extensive is it?
    4 - driveability

So sit down and write out your priority list. Its a good habit to have and can help in alot of life decisions. We did that when we bought our new house too, and it helped out alot.

Good luck!

7. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

If you do want to do this, I might be able to swap some exhaust components with you. Also, which BOV do you have?

8. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Here's my two cents, I have totally given up on my STi, I will buy one more set of v710s for it, and then (aside from typical upkeep) I won't spend a dime more on it. Right now it's mostly stock (front sway and cat back) but it will never be compeititive at a divisional level for SCCA solo II (in AS), unless I drop a ton of money into prepping the car for BSP or STU. I also like to take my car to the track quite often, but accidents can even happen in a controled enviroment.

I guess my point is if your going to buy another car to mod or build up and try to get into autoxing or tracking, you better have a deep wallet. While I love my STi, I have come to realize it's my daily driver and if I mod it or track it I'm taking a risk to lose a bunch of money.

So that's why I bought another 1986 CRX (this one used to be a SCCA club racing car for G production). I got the roller with some suspension components and a fully built 8-point roll cage for $600. The owner then contacted me a week later offering to sell me his race motor and other parts at a huge discount. When it's all said and done this car will be fully prepped for about $4K to $5K, and I'll be able to use it for be solo II and club racing. If hit the wall at road atlanta, it will be loss of only $5k not $30k if it was my STi.

If you really want something you can use for various motorsports, I would suggest getting something that's not a huge investment, ie crappy old hondas. Then get something that will still get you around town that you will still enjoy. Just some friendly advice from somebody who has dumped way too much money into their subaru for autoxing.

9. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Really good advice. It sounds like WrxCrazy would be best served by two vehicles with his requirements. An older car that can be modded and parts are cheap for can be a lot of fun to tinker with and if you break something on it it's not the end of the world if it's not your daily driver.

Maybe just get a reliable commuter vehicle and a $1k or so project for the fun portion. I got the XR4Ti because my WRX is modded to the point I want and if I push past it I think I will seriously affect reliability. So I'll leave it as-is and have fun with the Merk instead...

10. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

Liquidforce, milo, mike, alex(2), alex, Scott S, Will, and alot of peeps from wrxatl talked me out from selling my car! I'm so happy that i didnt sell it. For sure its in stock mode for right now. But i wouldnt be happy. Just get a cheap Daily Driver and have you subaru for fun!

11. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

thanks for all the support, i'm still thinking.. i would just go stock back.. sell all my aftermarket mods, and i'm still thinking about getting an used sti or maybe a new one if a deal comes by.. about to go to SOG on sunday..

i have responded to some of yours PMS.. sorry i will respond some others later..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  12. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

But let me ask you this.. if you do get a used STi what's to keep you from modding that one and end up with problems?

13. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i have thought abt it.. the thing i did with wrx i wont do with another car, the reason? i did most of the modding myself which sucks on my wrx.. another thing is i wont be modding my sti any time soon and even if i do it will be pro done so i wont be having any problems i'm with my wrx also i wont be giving it to any1 but me.. which i paid a costly price with my wrx by getting a 2k worth tranny and install price..
    even if i get a used sti the mods wont be done any time soon.. which the 1st year i had my wrx i didnt mod it, and it was fun that way.. a stock car fast enuff was my thing with the wrx but i need more. while staying a stock sti i wont be needing anything to mod it with for a while and even if i do i want it to be perfect.. which can wait.

14. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Personally I don't think the STi needs any mods with the exception of sway bars, shocks and a cat back to make it sound good. If you want to throw money into something, I would throw it at some track days and driving schools instead of mods. The STi has plenty of horsepower and grip to make track driving a blast. And after a long day of autoxing or tracking, I don't feel like modding at all, just want to get back out on the track.

15. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

exaclty, if i had a STI, i really woulndt mod it.. plus its adamn expencive car to mess up.....

16. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

thats my reason also..
    i dont wanna mod.. i wanna feel the air naturally :)
    so u guys think i should go with a sti?

17. Demo24

Demo24 Member

well for one SOG isn't open on Sunday

18. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

dang i knew that :squint:
    well i guess it's time i visit it on monday anyway

19. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

hmm, imho go for an STI for sure,

20. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

if u trade it in give me your ra tranny and you can have my stocker :dirty:

21. hmmm I would be really temped to mod the STi as soon as I get it if I were you. You get used to the power so fast and so easily haha. I think I'll also be temped to even aim higher power goals with the STi considering there are bigger turbo kits out there for the STi... if they were well suited for the wrx as much as it does on the STi, it'll be on my car haha.

You always want the best performance parts for your car and when you do, you just want more! ;)

just my 2 cents! good luck with your decision!

22. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Well I switched from an '04 WRX that was mostly stock to an STI recently. I thought switching to a Forester XT, Legecy GT, or EVO just to keep from buying the same body style again, but I'm glad I didn't.

My car wasn't havily modded like yours so the performance jump for me was greater. I'm pretty happy with my choice and I pretty much am in line with Meredith that lightly modding an STI will keep many people happy.

For me I'll probably upgrade sways, springs, turboback, and a cobb ap or protune and stay there for a little while. I do say that I do have the urge to throw on a big honkin' turbo, but it's probably overkill.

23. Meredith

Meredith Banned

What's the point of more power if you take the car to an autox or track day an get passed by a underpowered car. If you are interested in motorsports there's no reason for somebody to mod the crap out of their car even before they learn the car's limits. If you want a build a drag beast, then build a drag car. But for somebody who wants to become active in motorsports, mods aren't nearly as important as learning your car. Throwing on a gigantic turbo and $2k coilovers isn't going to make you any faster.

24. Well I was just saying that's what I will be tempted to do... ;)

I do know that I am not the greatest driver out there nor I know the limits of my car. However, I felt the difference when I upgraded to a bigger turbo and puts a big smile on my face everytime I rip it. To me, that's enough satisfaction to upgrade my car and that's what matters to me.

I've always disagreed with the saying "why mod the car if you can't drive it or not going to race it?". It is their car and they do it to please themselves and to enjoy what they have accomplished. It's like saying, why have sex when you don't wanna make babies? well kinda haha ;)

25. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Plus, it's FUN going fast even if it's in a straight line. ;)

26. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i was just at SOG..
    couple of bad news and couple of okies..
    i got a quote on my car, it was 7700...
    new sti would cost abt 34k and my monthly would be around 6'-700's
    i'm rethinking this again..

i also looked at some used sti's but not much of a price difference...
    if i wanna go to an sti i would maybe go for a new one.. i'm saden of thinking this again should i or should not?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  27. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

$7700 trade in? Did they at least offer a reacharound? :)

28. Have you tried any other dealers? 34k seems kinda high ;)

29. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I think new sti start around 30ish, but yeah check around you may be able to get a modded 04-05 for less unless you are just wanting to buy new.

30. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Did you print out your wrxatlanta profile...are they still running the deal where they sell you a car at invoice if you are a wrxatler?

and 7700? that is rediculously low...you could just part out the whole car and get lots more than that...esp with that tranny

31. I believe John Ra said he was trying sell his for around 27-28k... 05 Sti in aspen white ;)

32. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

What are your power goals with the car? If you want to make more than 300whp just go with an STI. There are a lot more important things to blow money on when you're young (I mean that in the best way such as investing it . . .). Do you really want to have to bust your ass making car payments for a couple of years to pay off an STI when you already own its little brother?

33. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

well the guy asked me, are you with wrxatlanta i said yes.. gave him my member name and number :D
    i can get a 06 sti blue with gold wheels, with 0 miles invoice price is 34.5k, selling price is 36.9k and wrxatlanta price was around 32k...
    but i cant afford it ATM :(
    i will wait till 08 or 09 comes out till then i will have my wrx just fine.. btw
    i'm still wanting stock exhast cat back, i got the down pipe, i'm still looking for someone to buy out my greddy evo II cat bak off me for a good offer, also my down pipe and up pipe..

34. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

FWIW, invoice on a no-options '06 STi is 31k.

35. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

well it all comes to options.. and i have thought enuff now
    WHAT WAS I THINKING?
    why get rid of my wrx when i already spend enuff money to go tracking with it or auto-x i mean seriously i have spent abt over 3k.. and like 1 more k and i'm ready to track maybe not beating any1 but atleast having safe fun..
    i'm planing to take classes soon, after i get my ged thing done which will about take till next jan.. so no sweats i'm keeping my baby..

36. I think all the wrx owners go through this phase at least once... including my self ;)

37. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

you are so right..

38. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

yeah...it definitely happens