Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic (5w-40)

Discussion in 'General Community' started by UpSideDownDesi, Dec 8, 2009.

1. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

Has anyone seen these at local automotive stores or at walmart? It is suppose to be better than previous Rotella T 5w-40. I wonder if it still has same amount of detergent and ZDDP? It says better soot control. So i am guess more or better detergents as more soot will stay in suspension and less sludge??
    Website link:
    http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/t6_detail.html

Specs PDF (website above breaks it down it details):
    http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-52.pdf

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

it has less ZDDP with a change of formulation

3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I saw 4 quart size bottles of it at my local walmart but didnt know what it was.

4. UpSideDownDesi

so it's going down in anit-wears? Time to stock up on older stock lol.

In my first quote they are saying they have improved wear protection by 34%, but they have decreased Zddp at the same time? I wonder what other anti-wear additives went up? I'd like to see a full side to side comparisson with the older Rotella T 5w-40 and new T6.

WRXatlanta fund to send sample of older Rotella T and new T6 to Blackstone?

5. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

if the t6 is something that's going to be launched, then the current formula has been in production for a long time now and even that differs to the older/more zddp formulation as well. I'm guessing there is another update on the oil. Mobil 1 0w-40 works just fine for me.

6. UpSideDownDesi

The older Shell Rotella T 5w-40 is discontinued and being replaced by T6. I guess u are right...they are just updating the formula and decreasing zddp since EPA is coming down hard on additives in oil, reason zddp disappeared from most of the conventional oils as it hurts CATS. Stock up time on older rotellaT.

7. integroid

I honestly don't think it will make much difference to the point I would stock up on the older version. Actually, I read a report where the Penzoil Full Synthetic was better than both the Rotella and German Castrol. You can get the Penzoil Full Synthetic dirt cheap in 5 quart jugs at walmart.

8. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

its all relative - "better" in what sense

i like to read that report of PP
    You can get the virgin oil analysis easily but a report of comparison will be interesting and if can be backed up with an oil analysis. I have at least 8 oil changes of the old GC and recently i bought 6 (jugs) of SRT when Adv Auto shut down on Grayson Hwy. and all the Castrol edge on the shelf when it marked down 75% off

Maybe Alex will run PP for 2 cycles and prove that article

9. integroid

Like I said, it was just a report I read somewhere on the internet. I personally use either GC or Rotella. I usually stock up when Autozone has a sale on GC and a K&N filter. The Rotella has retarded pricing $20 for a gallon then $6 for another quart plus a filter will cost more than GC specials at Autozone

How do you like the Castrol Edge?

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I have ran Rotella T for years on my 160,000 mile EJ205 pushing serious power for a 2.0L. No issues and that block is still running to this day (it went in a blown motor car in Charlotte).

Right now I have dyno oil in the car. Rotella 15w-40. I'm contemplating on what to switch to when I go synthetic. Shoot I may never go synthetic and stay dyno oil since I have to pour in 6 qts in my car.

11. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

I stocked up on Castrol edge - not for the EJ engine but for the Honda.
    The 5w-30 Edge is way too thin more like a 5w-20 (not for the EJ)
    I plan to use the 10W-30 Castrol Edge in spring after my next oil GC (goin in this week)
    The castrol edge has a $15 rebate till 12/15 - ive used up all my neighbours address :naughty:

side note:
    i looked at the STi oil pan lately and there is about 1/3 qt of oil at the bottom of the pan that you cant drain. And the pickup is in that cavity. What carziness. so all the sediments is in there and you ingest it first at first start where you need the best lube in the entire cycle.

12. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Alex and others has already proven time and time again that SRT is a stout lube for demanding cars. and further pushed the 4k avg OCI limit. But make sure you use a good oil and air filter (k&n is not one that i consider)

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Who do you think pretty much convinced Alex and others to run Rotella T ;)

I changed my oil every 5K on my 2.0L. On this new motor though I don't think I'm gonna wait 5K miles and do it every 3K.

Why do you not like K&N? Who do you like? My issue is I have to have a certain size filter in order for it to fit my custom CAI.

14. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

I like amsoil filter EAA74
    Im not goin to badmouth k&n - it has its purpose

i prefer no oil base for MAF efficiency, high pleat count for maximum surface = flowrate.
    Easiest to check if you like it - is use a white paper towel and swipe the channel before the MAF and check if you like what you see on the paper. If its on the paper - guess where it ends up ?

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

True but I have to have a certain custom size. Not easy to come by.

16. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

than buy 2 or more
    so that after cleaning you can let it spread evenly and reduced saturation and blob the wet spots while using the other that was prepped weeks ago. or you can buy a presurizable spray can from HF and dilute the red sticky oil from k&n so it spreads evenly and use less.

17. UpSideDownDesi

Advance Auto on Grayson Hwy closed? When? One in front of Bodyplex?

18. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

NOt that one
    the one closer to lawrenceville
    Last day (last saturday) all oil 75% off

19. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

side note:
    i looked at the STi oil pan lately and there is about 1/3 qt of oil at the bottom of the pan that you cant drain. And the pickup is in that cavity. What craziness. so all the sediments is in there and you ingest it first at first start where you need the best lube in the entire cycle.

Is this the same for the WRX pan? What after market pan would you recommend?

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Get the one I got. Killerb FTW!

21. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I mean...last two changes with Rotella T 5w40 look pretty darn good to me. I even ran one to 6,000 miles to see what it looked like. Compare it to the German Castrol analysis (6/14/09). For the last two years I have alternated between Rotella and GC for Summer/Winter, respectively. I have never had a problem with this combination but I have just now started to have the UOA's performed. Only time will tell at this point.

However this past change was on my last black sti oil filter. I need to find more! :wtc:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Alex you have the new T6 in yours now? Would be VERY interested to see a direct UOA done on a t6 batch.

23. Alex

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  24. UpSideDownDesi

from what i know T6 isn't really being pushed out, only few ppl have see it on shelves. I guess they are getting rid of the older stock first. It would be really interesting to see oil analysis done on virgin Rotella T 5w-40 and new T6 5w-40.

I am sure we as a community can chip in a little to come up for the cost of 2 analysis then spread the wealth to others. Put a wrxatlanta mark on bigger communities :D.

25. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I'm cool with this idea.

26. Alex

I emailed BSL about T6:

If you want WRXAtlanta to chip in why dont you start a "collection". It is $22.50 per sample + the cost of the oil. I may see if I can find some for my next oil change, but I am not going to pay to have the oil sampled before and after I use it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
  27. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

How much are you/anyone willing to pay for the T6 ????

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm not willing to pay any more than the old Rotella. LOL

29. Alex

Depends on the price. I think $8+ per quart is a little much. But, at the same time a replacement motor is several thousand dollars. If the oil is good for the motor then I would be happy to use it as it is a small investment to prevent a rather large expense.

30. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Whoa, the T6 is $8/quart!? :eek3:

31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I hope not....otherwise I'm switching brands.

32. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

33. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

34. Alex

LOL, I just picked a random $ amount. I have no idea how much it is per quart :)

35. UpSideDownDesi

:slap: lol and everyone thought it was $8 lol lol.

I think since it's replacing previous and not adding on to line as top of the line then it should be very close to previous price. I can see a jump to $22.00 for the gallon and $1.xx jump in quart prices.

36. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

hope you are right
    but with JASO-MA rating the demand will be high and wont be on the shelf long and will fetch premium $$

if shell is smart they will control release and keep the $$$ high

37. Alex

Wirelessly posted

Is it 100% confirmed as the replacement?

38. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

IMHO - NO ! not for a while

Current SRT is a great oil and a strong contender in the diesel engine
    I would not phase out the SRT and let the SRT6 get traction as a premium oil for both

39. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Competition might have cought on as well, or maybe I just hadn't seen it yet, but mobile one has a fully synthetic 5w40 turbo diesel oil. Super WM was out of Rotella and they had the mobile one so I ran this in my current oil change. By the looks of it after 3k and what I typically burn off between changes it seems to be holding it's own.

40. UpSideDownDesi

It is replacing the previous Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic. They have already replaced previous oil's page with T6, but like Ming said not anytime soon completely. Came out in October and i haven't seen anything locally. If shell doesn't phase out the older Rotella T then expect to pay premium for this since it will be top of the line, but i don't see me paying the premium when older is still a very good cheaper option.

I think what made Rotella T good oil was it's additives and amount of them. I think mobil 1 stopped adding zddp and few other additives while back. In previous comparison only 2 other oils came above Rotella T, Quaker Stake Racing line up, and i forgot the other. Shell Rotella T was 3rd in line, damn good for economic off the shelf oil.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  41. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

zddp is not the best for CATs
    zddp not used in modern oils.
    there are other ways to reduce wear

or look up addictive that call SLOB (i use an 1-2 oz if needed for oil makeup if needed in between OCI) SLOB not so legal anymore thats why not easily found it has 5x the amount of Calcium, zinc and Phosphorous. Maybe it cleans 5x and protect 5x more :)

Price point
    10x19 (SRT) + 5x25 (SRT6) >> 7x30 (SRT6)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  42. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

ZDDP not safe for CATS? Ok I have NONE! LOL.

43. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Rotella T6 is on most of WM shelves
    same price i assume same great product (even add says its significantly better)
    no VOA to date available, till then old stock is still my pref for summer

44. Deke

Deke Active Member

45. WJM

WJM Banned

Yeah-NO.

Like ming stated, most walmarts have BOTH now. The original 5w40 Synthetic and T6. I also saw the original 15w40 and the T6 15w40 as well during the last trip I took. Bottles are updated, but essentially the same container, just re-labeled. Prices were 100% the same between original and T6. I opted for the original since they only had 1 gallon of the T6 on the shelf and I needed 2.

46. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Im quite sure you meant 5w-40
    Shell says the T6 has better VII (visc index improvers) better for cold temps and and less resistance to shear & more approvals. But till the VOA is presented - no one knows. And VOA does not tell any more about whoch group the base oils they are from, PAO is more $ and them pricing it the same i doubt it is made from majority PAO.

47. WJM

WJM Banned

Both oils.

48. ihadmail

ihadmail New Member

I have access to a complete oil lab at my work.

If you guys want, and I can find both. I will run 2x changes of the old SRT and 2x changes of the T6. 3k and then a 4.5k interval. I can also run an analysis on each one straight out of the jug. Mind you this won't happen for at least another month as I'm building an engine and the car will be babied for a couple of weeks until the rings seat.

49. Alex

^^

Were do you work ?

50. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

need two oil changes before it really shows. new built engine is not a good platform for testing oil