shift knobs

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by ItsArex, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

What's everyone's preferences on a good weighted shift knob?

2. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

I can't really speak to anything else, but I've got the cobb shift knob for my car and I really like it....

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/COBB-Tuning-Delrin-Shift-Knob-Red-5MT-Subaru-Models

When I installed my downpipe over at James's house (digitized soul) his shift knob was awesome... Hes got a Latheworks knob and it is extremely heavy and I know he loves that.... He wrote a review on it... I will see if I can find it

3. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

4. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

I was wondering what James had... I have been thinking of mishmoto weighted shifter, but was curious about other ones

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

lathewerks

6. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

I have a WCLatheworks one and I would not have it any other way. Its the perfect weight and size.

7. I tried the titanium one but too temperature sensitive(hot in summer cold in winter.Then I remembered my collection of Mustang shift knobs left over from misc. cars I have owned.Adapted a Hurst cue ball shifter.It works and does not get the temperature swings of the metal ones.http://www.jegs.com/p/Hurst/Hurst-Ball-Shifter-Knobs/745797/10002/-1 Had to rethread..Mine seems to be ceramic or whatever cue balls are made from.These new ones say plastic.Oh well.

8. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

I'm all for the HKS domo (no longer available) weighted shift knob. Or the Greddy weighted shift knob which was my first ever shift knob.

9. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Another fan of WC Lathe Werks here. I use a sock on the knob (laugh you know it's funny) to try and keep the temperature extremes from burning or freezing my hand. Seems to work pretty well.

http://www.lathewerks.com/shop/

10. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

HAHAHAHA friend of mine who had a Civic Si had the butt plug shaped shifter from them and put a sock on it. I ragged on him all the time saying is that what he used for protection lol

11. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

So since I last posted, I had gotten into a discussion with another shift knob company that will also make custom weighted knobs for a much cheaper price. I have been discussing with custom-shift-knobs.com about a steel shift knob weighing 500 grams for $70 in the teardrop shape. I do not know the quality of their knobs but that's about $60 cheaper than WC Latheworks.

12. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

I am thinking about contacting lw to see if they can make me one with finger grooves on something that weighs half a pound. I feel like a full pound is a little too much for a shifter.... I wonder if jpm coach works could make a grip for that.

13. watchthenlearn

watchthenlearn New Member

I'll be receiving my Anarchy Motive here soon. 671 grams (1.47lbs). I've waited so long for it to ship it's really become a pain. I'm sure once I get it'll be "worth the wait". It's powder coated (SWP) so hopefully it won't be too temp sensitive.

But I got a quick question about shift knobs in general. For me I want the shortest (least throw) shift possible, because of speed and ease. Why is it that some people go for the really long/tall shift knobs, especially in drift cars.

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

because of speed and ease?

15. watchthenlearn

Flick of the wrist vs moving whole arm.

16. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Tall shift knobs/shifters can be just as productive as short shifters.

17. watchthenlearn

Okay... I realize that, but how? Especially in drift cars.

18. Bgh318

Bgh318 New Member

Watch out with the Anarchy knobs. Mine took FOREVER to arrive and then it started to chip less than 2 months after having it. I sent it back to the guy and it took another 2-3 months for me to get it back. That guy has a sob story everytime there is a delay.

I ended up selling mine because I was so afraid it was going to chip again. Kind of wish I had held onto it and just got it powdered by someone local.

I know have a WC Lathe Werks Co-Polymer Piston with a brass insert.

[​IMG]
    http://lathewerks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_8_16&products_id=16

I like it ok but I miss the weight of the Anarchy knob for sure.