Sign of damage from dyno numbers???

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by jonnyboy0150, Mar 17, 2005.

1. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I just ran my car on the dyno this afternoon and the results i got leads me to believe something is wrong. My car, performance wise, is basically stock with the exception of an HKS hipower catback and APS cold air intake. My numbers were 149 hp and 170 lb/ft. The thing that bothers me is that i believe a stock wrx should have around 170 horsepower at the wheels. There is only thing i know of that may be causing this. Is anyone familiar with the recall involving the pcm causing the o2 sensor to foul out and cause a misfire condition?? Well this happened to my car a few months ago. The check engine light came on and the car was missing. when i pulled over i popped the hood and the turbo was glowing bright red as well as the factory uppipe. Would that have possibly caused any damage to the turbo or the catalysts?? if so, what can i do about that to have that fixed??? Any help would be great, thanks.

John

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

dunno what ur problem could be but talk to scott at SoG... ur mods are not extensive so if if the car is still under warranty, they might be able to cover it

3. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Yeah, take it to a dealer to have it checked. When I got my first Dyno done at Knowledge, I did 163 hp and 171 torque, I had no mods except for a Forge BOV.

4. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

yeah i would expect those numbers from a stock rex, thats why i was shocked to find mine well beneath that, i would expect at least a small gain from the 3 in. exhaust, not 149 horsepower. Well the whole red hot turbo thing ocurred while i was under warranty and i had the recall performed at a subaru dealership, but now im no longer under warranty i dont think (38,000+ miles).

5. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

powertrain is 60,000 miles isnt it?

6. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

ahh thats right!!! cool, but how would i approach telling the dealership about it??? should i be like "yeah, i dynoed my car and didnt get much hp so could you check it out for me?" I know when i wrote the complaint when i dropped the car off after it broke i told them that the turbo and uppipe were glowing red hot so i mean i have told them in the past about maybe the possibility of damage. I just didnt know that it had any negative affect on power.

7. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Just go to SoG and tell Scott what is going on, he will do the right thing for you.

8. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Yeah Scott will try his best to help you out I'm sure.

Your car is way too stock for them to really claim too much from the mods.

Which APS intake do you have, the 70mm black one or the 65mm red one?

9. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

the CAI is the new version, the 65 mm red intake. its the one that has the same diameter MAF as the factory intake.

i was just assuming when i posted, but do those numbers sound low to you guys??? i mean before i dyno'd i wasnt expecting anything insane i was just thinking somewhere btw 170 and 180 hp to the wheels or so. but i ended up with 149 and i was kinda worried that something engine-wise wasnt right.

thanks for the help you guys

10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

After running kind of hard is your uppipe and turbo still glowing red. Regardless, take the car to SoG, if anyone can tell you something is wrong it would be Scott. I would think something is wrong from your numbers.

11. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

ok cool, thanks for all the help, one other possibility is that it was a "mustang dynamometer". is it possible that that particular brand just reads AWD power incorrectly???

12. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

well i does seem low, but since no two dynos are the same just as no two runs have the same conditions i think that you just had a low run. I ran my rx-8 at the knowledge dyno day and i got about 10-15hp and 10-15lb ft or tourqe lower than some other rx-8 had been known to run. Now, there is no harm to take it to SOG, hell i would sugest it as long as they dont change you that much for inspections, them taking a look at it wont hurt and potentialy help.

Good luck:bigthumb: