Snow!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Andy_013, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Andy_013

Andy_013 Member

who's ready to play in the snow with their suby?

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Bring it on.

I practiced today in a big gravel parking lot.

3. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

I'm ready to play...the question is... where?

4. techlord

techlord Active Member

why didn't you call me?

5. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

i work...

i'm more concerned with all the huge rwd suvs who've never driven in any...

6. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

I love the snow in my car. I fear the ice. All-wheel drive is worth nothing in ice (unless you have chains). Last time we had an ice storm (about this time last year) I drove through downtown to try to drop my christmas tree at home depot. Saw four wrecks happen.

7. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I just had some fun in the snow we got here in texas. Ended up with about 3inches. I left the subaru in the garage and took the jeep out. Good Times.

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Sounds ideal. Its easy to get the Subaru stuck tdc if there's any depth to the powder on the ground and it hasn't been plowed. Lack of ground clearance makes the Subie cry in the snow :(

9. nygiant

nygiant Member

black ice sucks...be careful everyone.
    all wheel drive does not mean all wheel stop

10. longfury

longfury Active Member

So after last winter being snowy and this winter already being so snowy, who wants a group buy on wheels and winter tires?

11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I wanna make my stock wheels 'winter' tires and get a set of BBS RE's :p

12. Mad Mallard

well, that drive was an adventure.

people just abandon their damn cars

75S to 285E, top of the big onramp bridge, 2 damn abandoned cars, one in the middle of the road.

13. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

You just got back home?
    Yeah. Annoying as hell. I thought there was a big accident on Holcomb Bridge but all it was was a few cars STUCK.

14. Mad Mallard

no i just got to work after leacving around 830

i stopped for some provisions, but apparently i took too long.

15. b reel

b reel Active Member

air down your tires and make wide turns

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

drove m3 out.....wheeeee sliding.....oh crap its not turning. LOL saved it, flipped over to ice mode and it drove just like the Subaru with zero sliding and no traction loss. Be careful out there guys. Take it easy and drive with sense.

17. Matto357

I left the restaurant last night around 9:30. Got on 400 south at Lenox road headed toward William street exit. Took about 2 hours. Only real issue with the car was being very gentle with the clutch or else the rear end would slip out. But holy crap, Atlanta drivers had no clue how to drive.

I saw at least 50 cars wrecked in giant pileups. Most of them rear wheel drive. The best was the guy in the corvette sideways on I-85 just spinning his wheels like a tard and not moving. Summer tires do not like snow/ice at all.

If this stuff freezes overnight, it's gonna get worse. So if you have to head out, be careful.

18. This guy? At least.. I think its a corvette.. hard to tell under all that snow. :rofl: Our WRX's are snug and warm in the garage...although the cul-de-sac is tempting...

[​IMG]

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

do I spy Z06 vent in the hood?

20. Matto357

That's the guy. I also saw a current gen M3 just pulled over. Looked like it wasn't involved in a wreck. I guess the guy decided discretion was the greater part of valor and hoofed it.

21. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

The fx faired well in the snow. No problems on the inside roads.

22. Matt

[​IMG]

no one is going anywhere in my community...if only I had the keys to the little black wagon sitting next to my TL. :|

23. Mad Mallard

*yawn*

sleeping at work is weird...

24. nygiant

nygiant Member

its just a little snow...whats the big deal :)
    it seems like most georgia drivers have no concept of physics and momentum with winter precipitation

25. nygiant

nygiant Member

ice mode? thats awesome
    how does it work?

26. Mad Mallard

oh my god, not even the speed people were driving last night, but the fact that they were leaving no room...

27. superdoughboy4

Yeah. Most of the people that get stuck seriously think that opening the throttle all the way open is gonna get them out.
    I was yelling in my car out of frustration. But, The rest of Holcomb Bridge, empty, was a fine drive. Especially since it was at night.

28. Matto357

Yeah, once I got away from the madness that was the highway it was a very enjoyable drive. Took the 17th street access road all the way to tenth. Saw a 3 series BMW not even able to make the left on to tenth.

29. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Basically shifts super early so gearing is low and traction control gets super super sensitive. I tried to break lose in ice mode and nope.......until you press that DSC button which I will NOT do!

30. Matt

it amuses me that most people in GA are from everywhere else, specifically places that get plenty of snow. They get down here and go retarded.

I can only imagine they do this because they are thinking the roads are pre-treated and as such, don't think twice about it.

31. Troad78

Troad78 New Member

I've been having so much fun with my wrx got some great snow drifting vids....time for round 3

32. jeb

jeb Member

I've been doing the same, go pro died halfway through though. We're heading out again after it charges. I'll post some vids up later tonight

33. Mad Mallard

crap. i went to start my car to help shed off the ice...

now its making bad noises from the engine, like it has a bad exhaust leak. but hell i don't know... :(

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  34. Matt

[​IMG]

parking lot turned into ice. it's fun to walk on.

35. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

I took my 5 year old out to a parking lot in the suby to let him play (steer)...popo rolled up before we even could get started and said "don't even think about it". Haha maybe tomorrow.

36. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

FUck snow, im out of work for yesterday and tomorrow, with no pay...

37. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I am out of work also but with pay.... Snow FTW. LOL

38. Matt

I get to work from home. :D

39. longfury

longfury Active Member

That really sucks for you.

I am in the same boat as this guy.

40. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Working form here as well. But that just means watching family-guy all day.

41. Matt

I'm logged into vpn...doesn't mean I'll be working. :p

42. longfury

longfury Active Member

How bad is it down that way, Matt?

I have looked at the traffic cams and such and it looks bad. I don't know if I want to chance it. I work down near the Big Chicken and I am up here north of Cartersville.

43. Matt

I have no idea really. I haven't left the house. I did walk around and up to powers ferry yesterday and it was a mess. Not sure what happened overnight though.

44. Matto357

Man, I wouldn't drive all the way from Catersville to the 120 loop. Earlier this morning I85 north was blocked with a jackknifed tractor trailer. It's still silly out there.

45. longfury

longfury Active Member

I am just going nuts. I have run out of productive things to do that are enjoyable. :p

46. Matto357

Yup. I think we are going to make the trek to the publix here in a few, just to get out.

47. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I'm glad I lifted my Outback back up or I would have been plowing the center the whole way to work today.

48. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Gotta love the VPN. I honestly can't remember the last time I was actually IN the office.

49. DaveH

DaveH Member

Just drove from Grant Park to Kennesaw in a Toyota Tundra; possibly the worst vehicle for this kind of weather. Relatively smooth sailing. Just stay away from anyone with a Florida tag.

50. superdoughboy4

Rofl Florida tag.