Snowboarding

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emstraumajunke, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Is there anywhere near atl to snowboard? cause i much reather go see my brother and go then drive to Tenn.

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I hear decent things about Western Carolina. I may try to play a trip over there over Christmas to see whats up.

3. xjenjenx

xjenjenx Member

i'm going to sugar mountain at the end of december. boone, nc.

4. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i have a snowboard and from personal experience the only way to do it is to go out west. too much ice on the east coast. Plus the mtns in nc are like hills in comparison. West virginia is prolly the closest i would go and even then i only do trick skis there or regular skis. sorry to sound so negative... :wiggle:

5. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

i'm from west virginia and it's a great place to ski/snowboard. snowshoe, wv is an awesome resort!!! as far as the ice... it's not that bad. i've been skiing in wv for over 20 yrs and the ice was only an issue about 5% of the time. the snowmaking capablities really help to cover up any icy trails. and even then, when ice is an issue it's usually found on the high traffic trails and/or steeper trails. it's not like the whole trail is covered in ice, just that there may be a patch of it in places. there is always decent snow on the sides of the trails (that's where all the spray ends up). but if your edges are sharp and you are an above average skier/snowboarder you should be able to hold your edges on it.

6. I suck i just enjoy it. while im doing it the pain after busting my ass 1000000 times kinda blows but it worth it in the end.

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

go to Colorado! its soo worth it!

8. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Hopefully I can find something closer to DC, so I can make some night trips.. Snowshoe is like 6 hours away. yowsers....

I also second Colorado. cant beat it :)

9. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

whitetail - mercersburg, pa... 1.5 hrs from DC

i know of an even better one if you don't mind driving a little further

10. lostinthewoods

pass some names on. I am game :D

11. Alex

Ive been to CO, it was awesome :)

Im looking for a reasonably priced place to go this december that isnt a plane ride away from here.

12. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

colorado freakin rocks! Tahoe is sweet too because you can ski while its warm outside. Canada is amazing thuogh from what i hear and have seen in pics. As long as your out west you are in ski country.

13. Alex

I wish I could find the pictures from the snowboarding trip I took with a buddy of mine a few years ago. Got some great shots and some cool video.

14. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

killingtons got the most trails and snow on the east coast, but its also in vermont

15. lostinthewoods

I get to teach my wife to board this trip, so it should be interesting. At the least she will be looking good in her new gear :)

woo hoo...Gonna tear it up

16. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

well if you don't mind a 3hr drive from DC, Wisp is a nice resort in western maryland.

i grew up in the eastern panhandle of wv and had about 5 ski areas within 2.5hrs. Wisp is by far the best... plus they won't kick you out for hotdogging!! they kind of incourage it, by building boarding and skiing parks with some nice jumps (one i caught 10+ feet of air!)

it was like 5 hours from me as well :(

17. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

i've been to snowshoe, wv as well. it's a really good place to ski/board. if you do cup run, and really push your turns by the end your legs will be burning. i think its about a 1.5 mile run.
    here is a link from my magazine's website. might be of help for you up lookin up in the DC area.
    this is the search page for the NE: http://www.ruhooked.com/outdoorgems/northeast.asp
    this is just about killington: http://www.ruhooked.com/outdoorgems/vermont.asp
    hope it helps.
    i'm off to Colorado this Jan. 12th-16th. can't wait. i haven't been there in years.

18. lostinthewoods

woo hoo.. Thanks folks. I will probably stay a few weekends come Jan - Apr in DC so i figured i should find some slopes and let work pay for a weekend of boarding :)

19. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

my cousin lives in salt lake city. i'm going to visit him next winter... will be my first time skiing the west!! can't wait, after skiings the east for my whole life.

i would be going this winter but the funds are a little short, that's why i'm installing the clutch myself.

20. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

wow drums first time? you will be in for a huge surprise! you will not believe how amazing the skiiing is in utah and places that way.

21. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

yeah, i've been wanting to go for a long long time. i can't believe that i haven't went yet. i'd get killed in a game of football & i can't shoot hoops or jump. but skiing i'm good at. can't wait to ski some real steeps! and the powder!! but the best thing will be the major dif in vertical drop!!

i'm so tired of skiing for like 3mins and then riding the lift for 15mins only ski again for 3mins... repeat over and over. :grr:

i want to goto the top of a real moutain and all the way to the bottom and take half the day doing it!! :bigthumb:

22. lostinthewoods

black diamond dood.. I remember my first time in the moguls on the snowboard.. wasnt pretty.. wore the #$#$# out of me. I will stick to free ride :)

23. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

nah, i'm not so much into the moguls. i like long steep runs so i can just go. i also like to cruse and take some big wide turns. and i love a good jump now and then!

24. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

the backcountry is always open. you just need to get use to cutting in snow a foot over your skis. it's so awesome!

25. lostinthewoods

I enjoy just cruising down. Looking forward to some nice long smooooth runs :)

May be swing by the terrain park :) for some air :)