So my camera was stolen, talk me into an upgrade :)

Discussion in 'Art & Photography' started by Alex, May 30, 2007.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Moose and I have been discussed this briefly, but I'd like to involve the several other photo people on the site in this.

Last week or so, someone jacked my camera, I had the sony dsc-717. By no means, is it the best camera out there. It has some nice manual features and took great macros, *cough* headlight closeups *cough*. It was too slow to shoot on track though. I really did enjoy the camera and I feel like it was a perfect introductory one for me.

Nevertheless, now I feel like I should upgrade to something a bit more adjustable. Given that this one is gone, I'd like a d-slr perhaps where I can change the lens based on what I want to do -- macro for closeup car stuff, somewhat wide angle for different shots and somewhat telephoto for track shots. Shutter speed needs to be quick enough to shoot cars on track w/o having to try 15 times to get the timing correct based on how fast the camera is.

My budget is not unlimited, but Id like to see where the next logical upgrade step would be.

Thoughts?

2. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

How about I talk you into using a spell checker? :p Stollen?

I like Olympus cameras for some reason. But I know Cannon would probably be the best bet for mid to high end.

Oh! I have a totally old-skool Minolta manual with zoom and regular lenses and flash. You want to go retro? Let me know and I'll give you a good deal. :) 35mm camera FTW!

3. jayj713

jayj713 Member

it's canon cameras :p

wow everybody is getting their shit jacked!

4. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

The new Canons are very nice. I'll let you borrow my old school Olympus when I get back to the home park area if you still need it.

5. Alex

6. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

so does that make you not answer a phone call too? :hahano:

How much are you looking to spend on a camera

7. a friend of mines talking about selling his D50

8. longfury

longfury Active Member

I wish I could help you out.

I need a new point and click digital camera. Thats about as advanced as I am.

9. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Nikon D40 6meg with the 18-135 lens! No, you can't borrow my credit card.

10. Alex

Oh yea?

11. Teknisa

Teknisa New Member

Edit

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  12. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

The only problem with the D40 is the lack of compatibility with the full range of Nikon lenses. They will only autofocus with the newer lenses that have the motor in the lens. I am intrigued by the New Olympus e510 as it will have a live preview feature through the LCD like a Point and Shoot. That being said, I love my Pentax K100D! Inexpensive, yet excellent lenses, complete compatibility with any K mount lens ever made (something like 32,000!!!) in camera optical image stabilization (which is a feature I will never do without again) and extremely inexpensive camera bodies right not (numerous places have it for under $500 with the kit lens). The 6 MP sensor is also a gem in low light conditions, something the camera manufacturers in their never ending push for more megapixles don't talk about...

13. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

100% true, but that's not really the point of that guy. If you're going to carry around several lenses in a bag you probably wouldn't have a D40 body. It's a very niche market camera. The 18-135 would do just anything the advanced amateur photographer would want.

14. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I agree, but why buy a camera with that limitation at that price when Pentax offers a camera with more features, more lens compatibility, and (arguably) equal image quality (at least shooting in RAW, I would give the nod to the D40 in camera processing of JPEGS)?

15. wrxin8or

Alex asks, "What all would I be missing with the 10D vs the 20D ?"

16. Teknisa

Teknisa New Member

Edit

17. wrxin8or

So out of curiosity, why would he buy your 10D for $500, granted it includes the battery grip when he could get a 20D body for $600-700?

18. Nikon D50 with the 18-55 ed lens, 512 sd card and a bag for $500.00 his name on Aim is unnecessary.

19. Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel XTi! 18-55mm isn't a bad kit lens... or you can go big or go home type deal, and get a 70-200mm type lens. Whoo-hoo!

*edit* Shouldn't you be asleep anyways? I'm about to head off..

20. Alex

No, why sleep :)

21. Teknisa

Teknisa New Member

Edit

22. wrxin8or

I apologize, I didnt mean it that way. I was wondering if there was something about the 10D that would necessitate the price being that close to the 20D. I know absolutely jack about cameras (I have a crappy P&S Kodak) so I was just trying to gather info.

23. Alex

I doubt he intended anything negative by it, much like myself, I think he was just curious. Hence this thread all together :) Anyways, Im considering your 10D, Im looking at a couple other setups right now. Ill definately let you know!