SOG - not tooo happy

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by jyang, Apr 14, 2007.

1. jyang

jyang Member

I did not have the greatest experience with SOG so far, but I hope to have a better experience with them in the future.

- I bought my car 3 weeks ago and 3 days after, my crank shaft position sensor died. I had a power-train warranty, which apparently did not cover this sensor (i was angry about this but..it's understandable). But this is what pissed me off. They quoted me $~100. I complained cuz i bought the car 3 days ago.Then they said they made a mistake with the price and requoted me $~200 but with a $100 "discount". I literally laughed at them but what can I do? the car didn't start. So got it fixed there. Of course they said the job was a 2 hr job(~$100/hr), then the car was ready in 30min..ok 40min after they cleaned my car.

- I bought my power train warranty. Verbally, the salesman said $50 deductible, I get a mail saying its $100 deductible. I will talk to them about this when I get there next week but I'm not sure how I'm going to support my argument. I hope i didn't sign anything that said deductible is $50.

Other than that, I found the techs at SOG to be incredibly friendly, except the guy who fixed my car ... who didn't really talk.

Oh well. I still got a good deal and I freakin happy with the car. I just hope I have a better experience with them next time.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  2. Greg

Greg Active Member

All I can say is, they can't please EVERYONE :) Things are bound to happen

3. techlord

techlord Active Member

^well said but I can attest the good they do far exceeds the very few problems I have heard.

4. Greg

Greg Active Member

^ agreed

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Who was your tech?

6. jyang

jyang Member

not sure. :p but the problem is fixed :) But I think from now on I will request Will to do my stuff. I heard from my friends who go there ALL THE TIME that he is awesome.

7. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

why is it not covered under warranty ?

8. WJM

WJM Banned

IIRC this is the white 02 WRX wagon.

07 would technically put it at 5 years...depending on its inservice date.

If it is still in under the time limit, then its 60,000 miles.

If this is indeed the car I am thinking about...Nestor worked on it. While hes a good tech, he really isnt talkative at all anyways....and thats just him and its normal.

9. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

^^^^

i thought it was a new car (3weeks old) My mistake
    OP didnt mention its an 02

10. jyang

jyang Member

WJM.. are you Will?

ya..It's the white 03 WRX wagon. It's at 65000 mile but I have the extended 2 year power train warranty.

Apparently the sensor is not a part of the power train warranty. :(

I sort of understand why they didn't cover it under the warranty but I was disappointed that they didn't fix it for free as it was a week since I bought it from them (after their xxx point check system) AND it was under "a" warranty. meh.

Now that I think about it, the sensor was broken B4 I bought the car cuz the starter made a funny sound as the salesman first started the car during the demo drive. Another salesman told me the sound was cuz they turned the key in ignition too long. I shouldn't have believed the salesman....

11. techlord

techlord Active Member

yep, the one and only!

12. WJM

WJM Banned

Depending on what kind of extended warranty it is...sometimes it will not cover sensors, but cover major peices such as engine/transmission internals, wheel bearings, axles and the such.

At higher mileage and age, sensors become a wear item.

Front A/F sensors start to fail around the 70k to 120k mile mark. The magnetic pickup sensors start to fail randomly...but if one fails, usually around your mileage, and once replaced, should not have an issue for another 60k~150k+ miles.

yeah, since you are past 60k, no more powertrain, so mod away! But you really need to check on all the fine print on your extended warranty. If it is an SOA added security plan, there are different plans that cover all kinds of different things...deductables from 0, $50, $100, and up.

Again, check on the fine print and such.

13. jyang

jyang Member

hmm I have 2 yr extended "power-train" warranty from SOA...I think deductable was $100.

this pisses me off. The salesman told me $50 deductible at the beginning before I bougth the car, then I get a mail saying I have $100 deductible plan so I call him yesterday and he tells me that's impossible cuz all deductibles are $100. so there IS a $50 deductible plan and he just n00bed me.

14. WJM

WJM Banned

Nice.

Yeah, that the SAS plan...depending on which one you got depends on how far it covers.