SoG Oil Change

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by RADON, Apr 5, 2007.

1. RADON

RADON Member

Thoughts and ramblings...

I had a free coupon for an oil change so I thought I'd give it a try.

1.) Way too long, approximately 1 hour.
    2.) Upon arriving home and checking under the hood, oil cap was off and thankfully was on the battery.
    3.) The oil level was way too full, ie 1/2" past the "F" mark.

Next time, coupon or not, I'll just continue to do it myself.

2. gte123v

gte123v Member

i had the same experience, so needless to say I do it by my self now. Get the fumoto valve, makes thing much easier and less messy.

3. RADON

RADON Member

Yeah I have the valve, usually takes me 10 minutes.

4. Intrigue2727

Intrigue2727 Member

i have never had ANY problems, but it does take about an hour

5. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

That is odd, because SoG usually never does stuff like that. I have always had good experiences with oil changes there. Sorry to hear that....

Mark

6. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

They broke my factry oil temp guage from the plug......

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yikes..thats a pretty serious problem

8. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Now I'm questioning my decision to get my floor mats installed there :eek:hnoes:

9. ^-- Hahaha...

Hmm...mine took 20 mins last time I did it.

Don't forget the Legacy's oil dipstick is not accurate at all, and is sporadic.

10. jayj713

jayj713 Member

can you guys link me to a fumoto valve that will work on my 06 wrx? or is there anywhere i can get it near here(marietta or duluth)?

EDIT: sorry, off topic :/

11. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

:rofl:

12. RADON

RADON Member

True dat, but when I do it myself and I put in the recommended amount, it's right at "F". Tech most likely put in a full 5 quarts. It'll burn off soon enough anyways. I was mostly irritated about the cap.

13. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

mmm hmmmm...... that could've been a bad thing

14. WJM

WJM Banned

If its at the NOTCH above the F mark, THATS where its SUPPOSED to be when the oil is WARM.

I knew *I* should have done your oil change.

Your oil change was peformed by one of our esteemed redneck techs who has zero SUBARU training.

I will do what I can tomorrow to make sure the bossman knows what went on.

15. RADON

RADON Member

Thanks Will, just wanted to give some feedback.

On a side note, Steve was pleasant today :)

16. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

That sounds somewhat scary... :eek3:

17. AK_Raptor

AK_Raptor Member

haha

18. WJM

WJM Banned

Well, boss man is pretty upset at the turn of events...hopefully said tech will get reprimanded.

19. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I have to say I have never had that problem at SOG. :dunno

20. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Non Subaru redneck-tech should make no difference.... Even my girlfriend knows how to screw an oil cap back on, c'mon.... Really?

21. xpsi

xpsi Member

Same thing happened with me last month. The oil cap was sitting on top of the battery. :/

22. WJM

WJM Banned

I agree, but you need to understand that this guy is a complete tool bag, and sucks the boss mans dick to keep working here.

Of the other 4 techs who work here, we are all 100% SUBARU trained. almost 1/2 of our work each week is cleaning up his screw ups.

23. Jake

Jake Active Member

I'm up here now waiting on my car. They have been amazingly quick in my opinion. Did a tranny swap and new brakes in three and half days.

24. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Understandable... I wasn't trying to bag on you.. It's just kind've a bad apple spoils the bunch situation. Can you request certain techs when you go there for service or is it whoever grabs the workorder?

25. WJM

WJM Banned

Yes, you can specifically request certin techs.

26. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

I was a victim of this, too.

I've been going to SOG for my service since it's been the title sponsor of the AR SCCA autocross series. Up until this week when I brought my car in for an oil change, I've been fairly satisfied. After my most recent oil change, I found my oil cap sitting on top of my battery after I popped the hood during a fill up. I wonder how much crap blew down in there in the 50 miles I drove between the service and the fill up.

Thanks SOG, but I think might just have to do these myself from now on.

27. Meredith

Meredith Banned

When I go to SOG I request Will and ONLY Will!

Will FTW

28. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

I would but, c'mon, do you really have to request a certain tech for an oil change? It's not rocket science. It comes down to the fact that I shouldn't have to request someone special to get "adequate" service.

29. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Brian and I do our oil changes, my philisophy is not to let anybody that I don't trust or personally know work on my car. So far the only approved people are Will, Brian, the Segeal & Gran Turismo. Hopefully SOG will get rid of their less than wonderful techs so I don't have to worry about random redneck guy stripping out my tranny drain bolt. However my service from Will has always been top notch :)

Edit you can always come over to our house, we have ramps, filters and tools so you can save $20 and the trip to SOG

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  30. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

What do y'all charge for a clutch replacement? I don't need it just yet, but it can't hurt to plan ahead and budget...

31. FACE

FACE Active Member

I have never been to sog but have always had great service at Classic...Steven the Suby tech there is honest and great at what he does. He will come and talk to you about any questions you have.

Will, I meet you one time at the g2g in snellville but didn't have much of a chance to chat, you were teaching us about caster(very nice by the way!)....your reputation is great from all I have heard!!!

32. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Heheh Ask brian.... since you helped us out I don't think we would charge that much

33. WJM

WJM Banned

PM sent.

34. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I used to use SoG for oil changes, back in the day when I could walk back into the shop, and shoot the shit with the tech working on my car(When you are standing there, it makes it very difficult for the tech to screw up or forget something), or SS. Now that they have stiffened up about non-employees in the shop, I won't bother. I will just keep doing it myself at pEds.

35. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I had the same problem with my old 02 wrx with classic, they put too much oil in it and lost my oil cap, had to wait 3 days to get a new one.........I always and continue to change my own oil!!

36. WJM

WJM Banned

Had a talk with Steve this morning, showed him the thread, we looked up the history...etc etc.

Since we have indeed made an error, if you choose to come back to us for service, you have a FREE oil change waiting on you.

Also, the technician (Not I, Bob, Johnathan or Nester) that left the oil cap off will not be performing the oil change on your car anymore.

Steve apologizes for the error, and we will do our best to make it up.

37. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Will, I appreciate your (and SOG's) commitment to make this right. Y'all might see me up there in a while to collect. I appreciate it.

38. WJM

WJM Banned

No problem! We aim to please.

39. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

;)