some dvd questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jt money, May 11, 2006.

1. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

ok so i have a program called dvd shrink that lets me backup dvds. when i do this it makes a folder with the files in it. heres my problem, when i go to burn them it wont let me do it as a video dvd. insted i tried to do it as a data disk but then its missing the boot file so the dvd player will play it. currently im using sonic digital media plus v7(it came on the pc). can some one suggest a better burning program and or one that rips and burns but lets me modify the contents to fit a single layer disk? :sx:

2. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

Nero

3. jt money

nero rips and burns or just burns? and if it rips can you modifuy the content of the dvd?

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

What format are you backing up the DVDs in. You should back up to an ISO and use Nero or better yet Alcohol 120 to burn.

I used to use Nero for burning, but lately Nero is acting up. When I try to burn a movie using Nero, it keeps saying that the Media I am using is not good. Never have any problems with Alcohol 120.

Give me a call if you need help with this JT. You know I am constantly burning movies so I can definitely help. If you want a copy of Alcohol 120 I can make you a copy.

5. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

What kind of content do you want to modify. With DVD Shrink, you can reduce the quality of the different parts, but you can't actually delete them entirely. To do that you would need a DVD Authoring Program. I haven't gotten into the whole Authoring part, but if you want info check out vcdhelp.com.

6. jt money

yes you can. you can re-author where you select the chapters you want and leave the extras and subtitles and other stuff out. ive got it so it fits on a single layer disk but i cant burn it to a disk with sonic.

edit ok so i can burn iso with sonic i see how to do that now but dvdshrink save the files in vob format not iso. what authoring program save as iso? i cant change the format dvdshrink save in.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  7. jt money

thanks jason for your help. problem solved

8. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i burn that crap as an iso image and it works just fine for me:)

9. jt money

its wasnt the burning part it was the ripping part that was causing me problems. i was using an old version of dvdshrink that only ripped to vob files. i now have dvdshrink 3.2 and everything works just fine.

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  10. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

dvd shrink is awsome man, it takes forever to get everything converted but it does a very nice job and its free.

11. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

DVD Shrink is actually not all that slow. Plus if you download movies and you get something in VOB format, you can run DVD Shrink on the downloaded files and convert it to ISO.