Spanish Food Night!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Complete with my homeade carne asada tacos, salsa verde, spanish rice and queso blanco.

[​IMG]

2. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

:ddirty:

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:tasty:

4. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

damnit alex, its 3am and your makin me hungry...

5. Alex

Haha, I wish there were left overs.

I'm going to bed, g'night :bigthumb:

6. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

What did you do with the Jose Cuervo in the background?? I hope you didn't drink that stuff...rot gut I say. Get some Patron or Porfidio. Looks good though, I guess I don't have the skillz to make mexican food, it always comes out tasting like Taco Bell....

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Nah, go with some Sauza Tres Generaciones Anejo... :bigthumb:

8. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Ah hell, if you used it for margaritas, the cheaper stuff works well.

Glad to see somebody else here enjoys cooking... at the risk of sounding ghey, maybe we can trade some recipes. :D

9. Alex

Would love too :cool:

10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

All right.. I'll throw the first one out; the perfect flank steak:

Take a nice flank steak, approx 1.5lbs or so. Brush one side with liquid smoke (the bottled stuff), and sprinkle meat tenderizer over it. Stab the hell out of it with a fork. Flip over, sprinkle tenderizer, and stab it all over again... let sit out at room temp for 45 mins or so.

Set oven on broil. Put steak on some type of rack/grid (maybe a broiler pan) and stick it some 6" under the broiler... broil for 10 mins, flip over and broil for 5 mins. (Adjust depending on thickness, this will make it medium for a normal size flank steak).

Remove from oven, put on cutting board. Sprinkle lots of salt on steak. Cut very thin slices against the grain, with the knife almost flat against the steak... put slices on warmed serving platter.

For a side dish.. I usually get some uncle ben's wild and white rice mix, then stir in some diced tomatoes and bread dipping spices mix for flavoring.

11. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

That looks good.

I think my T-Bell is better study food then margaritas and homemade mexican.

I wish my girlfriend would make mexican food like that in her culinary classes (she's going to culinary school).

12. Alex

the salsa verde is quite quick and easy, so I thought I'd throw that up.

Grab about 1-2lbs of tomatillos (these were hard to find in good condition), and husk (?) them. Wash them off in cold water a couple times over and then put them in a sauce pan. Float them and bring them to a boil and allow them to tenderize. I did this by a touch test. While they are warming up, grab about 1/4 onion, 1/4 jalepeno chile (with seeds), 1 clove garlic, couple sprigs of cilantro. Dice these right about the time the tomatillos tenderize. This is so the onions do not oxidize (really just for looks). Drain the tomatillos and pour them into a blender, cuisenart, etc; pulse this until smooth. Then add in the spices (season to taste), and pulse once more until smooth. When you're happy, add some salt--I always use kosher.

Chill it down in the fridge for about an hour, or serve it warm over your meal (as I did). Next time around, I really would like to try some lime in there. Either, an actual wedge (skinned), or just fresh lime juice.

Enjoi!

13. Alex

that flank steak sounds tasty :bigthumb:

I'll put up the recipe I used sometime this week.

14. GTscoob

How about instead of Taco Mac we just have our own Alex cook us up a nice meal:D

15. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Gonna have to give that salsa verde recipe a try. :bigthumb:

Here's another one that has few ingredients and tastes pretty fantastic...

Grab a couple nice lookin' salmon filets.

Mix 3/4 cup real maple syrup with 1/4 cup soy sauce. (I double this if doing 3-4 filets.)

Put salmon and syrup/soy in bag. STick in refrigerator and marinate for 24-48 hours, turning occasionally to ensure even coating of everything.

Heat oven to 500.

Pack a layer of coarse ground black pepper on the meat side of the salmon.

Coat cookie sheet / foil with a thin layer of oil. Place salmon, skin side down, on it.

Stick in oven until done (20-30 mins usually, depending on the thickness of the salmon.)

The sugars from the syrup caramelizes a bit, which really works nicely set off against the pepper...

I usually make this with roasted asparagus (tossed in olive oil and black pepper and roasted at 500F for a few mins).

16. Alex

I guess if we really wanted to...

We could do a BBQ thing when it gets warmer :cool:

17. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Yes Master! Please feed us!

18. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

You guys need to stop talking about food on here. I am sitting at work and getting really hungry. Damn you all.

19. Alex

Maybe we'll throw something for the 200th member party :bigthumb: :bowdown: :cool:

20. GTscoob

haha for some reason I loughed out loud at that.

21. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Well I'm a funny guy I guess :confused:

22. Alex

I guess so :bigthumb:

23. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

That doesn't seem to be that far off! 25 more to go!!

-drums

24. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

24 more to go!! Looking forward to some fine cooking Alex!

-drums

25. Alex

Moose and I will have to prepare something. What all would people like?

26. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i vote wild boar

27. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Lobster

28. GTscoob

Salmon

29. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

Mmmmmmmm... That all sounds good to me!!!

Not long now! 13 more to go!!!!!

-drums

30. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

ditto