springs

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by AthensWRX, Apr 12, 2005.

1. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

if i got springs, are there people who would help install or could install?

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i dunno what tools are required... if someone has the knowhow, i could provide extra hands...

3. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

need a spring compressor

4. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

im down..i did my springs and did not use a spring compressor

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I need to pick up my springs and would love to install them. Perhaps we can all get together and put them both on our cars ?

6. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

I would highly recommend buying a spring compressor. they are like 10-12 bucks at harbor freight. The backs you can do without it, but the fronts would be a nightmare. You will also need a 17mm socket with flats on the outside to grip with a wrench or channel lock pliers or something. when you are tightening the nut at the top of the strut that holds the whole assembly together, the strut shaft needs to be held with a hex wrench to keep from rotating. You can buy one or just grind some flats on the outside of a standard socket like I did. I have changed my springs twice now, and it is pretty straight forward. Do one side at a time so you have the other to look at when you are putting it back together. Remember, the top hat for the front springs have to be oriented properly on the strut shaft so the springs are at the proper angle relative to the strut shaft. The rear top hats only have one possible orientation.

7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Porter didn't use a spring compressor for the front or rear's on my car. Both Doug and I cringed as he loosend the top bolt to release. Turns out there just no compressed that much. So, at least on the 03's, I say spring compressor not required. It's just a time consuming job cuz you have to take the back seats out...

8. Weapon

not in the wagon!! :D

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

You just have to move all the groceries and childrens soccer equipment!!!

10. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Let me know if you need help, its not too much of a pain.

11. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

need help

hey guys i just got the s techs today off of sti4u2nv. i am taking my car to SOG on friday for the 30K check up, i was hoping to get them installed before then so that they can do the allignment then. (save money ya know). If anyone has some free time on thursday night, that would be awesome. Give me a call at 804-370-3465 or just pm me on here. Thanks.

12. Weapon

S techs are awesome..Tein makes a good spring..i know a few people with em and everyone has been happy with them

13. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

hey tommy, did you do the trunk swap?

-drums

14. slug

slug Member

you can go to pep boys and put a deposit down on a spring compressor and when you return it you get your money back no charge... at least that was the case when i installed my springs. i would reccommend getting one if its free wont hurt to have it around

15. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

yeah i did the swap, it looks great, just like every sti trunk that you have ever seen. yeah im gonna get the spring compressors. it would be good to have incase anyone else needs to use them. im big on building the tool library anyway. as far as the install goes, i just need someone here to run me through the thing and if there are any special things that i need other than the spring compressors, if anyone has those and i can use them that would be off the hook. Basically i can do the work, i just need some guidence so that i dont fack anything up. thanks homies.

16. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Not planning on swapping the struts soon are you? If so, you might want to wait and do it all at once...

17. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i know kris did his own springs... im sure he could guide u in the right direction

18. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

I remember when i did my JDM pinks on STI struts.... it was freaking PITA. I kinda wish that i swap GroupN strut tops as well.

I definately recommend spring compressor for safetly. Get a LONG LONG cheater bar as much possible. My 1 cent cheater bar helped me out a lot. As everyone knows, dont forget PB Blaster. This will be your life saving fluid. :D :D

19. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

You work during the day or off Tom? If you are off, I could proally help you.

Jason

20. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

Jason, you gotta clean up your PM box~!!!! jp. newayzz.. thanx again for EGT gauge installation again. it work perfectly. Heat shield of header makes little rattle sound (i think). So i'm gonna check that out during next oil change.

21. Weapon

your welcome Tom!:D

22. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

DONE!

its 5 37 am and i just finished up thanks to MILO, CHRIS, BRETT and BEN. TRJCS, i wish that i would have read your thread before. you were so right. luckily milo had a breaker bar, and i sent brett and chris to get some PB. all went well for about well the front springs, and then there was the (easy back ones) it took me over an hour to loosen the top nuts and then onece i got the assemley off, i found out that i needed a 17mm deep socket, who would have known.

so a productive day for me alltogether, i got the sti trunk and wind and installed my springs.

next up exhaust (I know how to do that) that should be here in a week or so. i have to get my brother to mail it to me when he gets his new blitz junk. you all will remember the sound of the one that i am getting, people were raving about it at the dyno day. personally i think it is one of the best sounding cat backs on the market. i'll let you all hear it before i tell you what it is.

that again for all the help fellas, the tips were very helpful as well.

Tom

23. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

awesome dude... glad it went well... now its time to post pics

24. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

pictures

they said my file was to big to post, whats the best way to make the file smalller?

25. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

haha... open photoshop or somethin and shrink it down :D