SQL or System Admin role call

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Strayen, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Sup guys, I did a thread a while back on a different issue I think but right now I'm in the middle of a debate with myself.

Trying to find the right Direct Attached Storage for our SQL server under $10,000. I've gotten a quote from Dell for an MD3000 for about $10k and looking at prices for the IBM DS3400 is about $9k without the drives.

Our SQL server is very bottlenecked on IOPS, and reading lots of stuff online about the Dell and IBM, it seems the Dell MD3000 is an older IBM DS3100 or so with real shitty documentation. We've never bought IBM, most of our stuff is Dell and it would be easy to go with them, but I don't want to buy for a 2 generation old hardware from Dell for the same price as the newest from IBM.

The current specs I'm wanting is about 75GB 15k rpm x (10 or 12) in RAID 10 with dual channel connection to our Dell 2950 server.

What I'd like to see if anyone can share some information on their experiences with either of these units or family of DAS.

I hope Will (MrCoffeeATL), or someone else can chime in some.

Thanks guy!

2. Brian

Brian Active Member

We use a NetApp NAS for our SQLServer. If it's IOPS you're after, I assume you have the DB, log and temp on their own spindles. Also, there's a few articles on the performance of flash hard drives you may want to read too.

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I know all we use at work are Dells but i am a developer so i cant help much :( sorry. Good luck

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  4. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Hey Brian, I would totally want to go with enterprise level SSDs and what not but neither Dell, HP nor IBM offer a solution like that and the companies like Texas Memory with their SD400 is like $60k+ solution.

I would also love to wait till Core7s are offered on servers from Dell but according to my sales rep, Core7s are not even on the horizon yet.

Core7 + SSDs would be supreme performance for SQL.

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I called our sys admin, we four systems in a cluster each with dual Quad-Core Xeon X5482 with 32 gigs of ram 10x 54g 15k hdds.

6. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Yea your setup is very high end. We don't do clustering but I am thinking about the DAS or SAN you have with those 10x54gb 15k SAS drives.

7. Brian

Brian Active Member

Nice. We have 8 proc. opteron's and 16GB memory on our servers with the NAS. Curious, how large are your DB's?