Squeaky Clutch

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by johnson90512, Sep 21, 2014.

1. johnson90512

johnson90512 New Member

I have had this squeaky clutch issue before. The first time that I had it my firewall welds were broken, which seems to be pretty common on my model, so I had allpro fix it, bydrilling it out and putting a bolt through it., but what was actually causing the squeaking was a broken clutch pedal assembly and they replaced that plus reinforced it to make sure it wouldn't break. Just the other day I noticed that the squeaking has come back, but it seems to be much quieted as before I could hear it loud and clear inside the car, and this time it is very quiet inside the car, and can be heard better from the outside of the car with the hood open and the car off. Any ideas what it might be? I am probably going to take it to allpro on monday if possible, but I would still like any input that you guys have.

Thank you.

2. nygiant

nygiant Member

did allpro bolt both sides? I've read that once one side of the broken firewall is fixed, the other side usually ends up going to shit

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  3. johnson90512

johnson90512 New Member

I believe they did all of them. Not 100% on that but if I remember correctly they did all of them.

4. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I am sort of having the same thing right now. Right after the clutch engages i am getting a creaking as the pedal comes all the way out.

5. johnson90512

johnson90512 New Member

How many miles on the car? Also does you break pedal seem to move toward the left when you push the clutch in? Mine is so quiet I have to really listen for it, and it only seems to happen when the car has warmed up.

6. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I just hit 72 I believe. It started as a sqeak, that went away and is now back as a creak. Haven't paid attention to the brake pedal, but when I was down there trying to locate the noise, I did notice that if i push the clutch pedal more to the left as it was going down, the noise was more prominent.

7. johnson90512

johnson90512 New Member

I have had the issue before and it ended up being my clutch pedal assembly and they it stopped squeaking, but my brake pedal was also moving when that happened. Now its just ever so faint. Have you checked those spot welds everyone talks about?

8. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I havne't yet. It sounds like it is coming from up above the steering column. I tightened one bolt up there, but that didn't help.

9. nygiant

nygiant Member

right about when mine started squeaking/creaking

10. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

This is going to sound stupid but does it sound kinda like a goose honking? My 11 sti was doing this, the dealer replaced the clutch pedal assembly under warranty and it quit for a while but then came back.

11. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

what was your end result?

12. nygiant

nygiant Member

nothing honestly. i just crossed over 113k yesterday and its still the same, no better no worse. the squeak/creak is only present when first starting the car after its sat overnight, and even then, the creak goes away after about 15 minutes of driving.

i mentioned it to brandon, patrick and wes when i first started hearing it back around ~70k miles, and they told me to definitely have them fix it if I noticed it getting any worse, especially in terms of shifting etc. But it hasn't.

I will get it fixed eventually, but for now, it doesnt seem to be worsening so why worry or spend the money on it now, ya know?

When I get a new short block and clutch, I will probably get it fixed then.

13. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Interesting. Mine doesn't really go away unless I am real gentle on the clutch.

14. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Experiencing the same thing on my 08 with 79k. Haven't pulled the cowl and wiper motor's yet to check the spot weld's but watching videos on nasioc that's exactly what it sounds like.

Some have said they have had the dealer fix this even out of warranty, but SOA had to be involved. I guess I'll give SOG a call, never had to deal with SOA before. Anyone have there's fixed out of warranty at the dealer?

15. FACE

FACE Active Member

I made Subaru fix this on my 08 STi. dash had to come out and rewelded...no bulletin throughout Subaru was sent.

My argument was if the welds completely broke then you could not stop the car.

SOA was involved but I believe I was still in warranty.

16. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Let us know how this works out because mine has gotten progressively worse and now squeaks pretty much the whole way through depression and back out. I just usually don’t pay attention because the music drowns it out.

17. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Just and update on this:

Got a letter yesterday from Subaru stating that if you had work done on the spot welds while under warranty/extended warranty, you are eligible for reimbursement. That is great news...except that mine just started squeaking a few months back and is REALLY squeaking now...and I am way past any warranty (81k). :|

Just thought I would pass along the info in case someone had this work done.

18. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

Just thought I'd throw this in...

My 97 Ford Ranger 2.3 would make a "goose honk" sound when slipping the clutch under normal use. It almost sounded like someone dragging a chair across a wooden floor.

Could be just a resonating frequency caused by the friction of the clutch; similar to the finger around the rim of a wine glass trick.

That's not to say that this is what's going on; just that it could be.