SS Lines, Hawk HPS Pads, ATE Blue

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by Alex, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Braking Upgrades Reviewed:
    • Goodridge SS Lines, non coated. Purchased from King of Imports.
    • Hawk HPS Pads, purchased from SoG
    • ATE Super Blue Fluid
    On stock fluid and stock lines, I look my car to the track for a good 6 hours of use. I was able to boil the stock fluid as my times improved on the track (first time out there) and was quite dissapointed as this was limiting my entry speed dramatically. However, I must say, the Hawk pads amazed me. They are far better than the OEM Brembo pads, and are actually cheaper / dust less. I understand that dusting is a sign if minimal rotor wear from the pad, but I mean, jesus, with the OEM pads my wheels could be dark after a day of stop and go traffic. We all know how often that is here in Atlanta :eek: Definately look into these pads once your OEM Brembo's begin to go as these work great for both street use and light track / auto x use. They're not too noisy.

We had a little bit of a pedal travel when we bled my brakes after the track event but that's another story. The pedal feel from the SS lines is exactly what I was searching for. Its quite stiff, the way it should be. Response is there as well. Definately a worth while $100 if you plan on doing any sort of motorsports.

As far as a review of the ATE, all I can say is that its an interesting dark blue color. For those who are unfamilar with it, ATE uses a very strong dye in their fluid and sell the same product in a natural golden color. Why? This way when you bleed the lines, you can get the golden version and bleed till you see gold, and vice versa. Pretty cool right?

Overall, Im very pleased with the upgrades to the brakes. Im still working out a small pedal travel issue (could be air in the prop. valve), etc. I went and triggered ABS to get the remaining air out of the system and *shrug*. Regardless, for any STi owner, I would highly recommend this upgrade path.

Pictures to come soon.

Cheers,

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

your reviews always make me all warm inside :keke: glad to see u finally got em all on your car!

3. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

i have the exact same trio in my trunk, guess what i will be doing at the next install day, as well as a couple other goodies

4. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

you may wanna get speed bleeders alex, i'm looking into them myself... boxer4racing.com

5. Alex

Dewd, Im a total pro now at everything. I'd be more than happy to help.

Great, I always enjoy writing them :wiggle:
    Expect 3 more reviews soon, but they're a surprise!

Ive got them. When I put my old pads back in, I plan on reflushing the system to try and fix the pedal play problem and will most likely put the SB in then.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2005
  6. KingofSiam

KingofSiam Member

Think it'll work for a WRX as well?

I can't see why not.

7. Alex

Yes sir, give it a shot and let us know.

8. oucatch21

oucatch21 Member

brakes are definatly a good desicion. I have decided im doing brakes befor my power mods.

9. Alex

Great, Im glad our talk helped.

10. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

just to add something for the wrx owners...

i'v got on HPs with motul 5.1, very good improvement over stock so far-definitely recommend it... however i'm reserving my final judgement for the track. i still think i won't be happy until i have 4-pot slotted on the front, but we'll see.