Stock catless uppipe vs. aftermarket uppipe

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by 02wrx84, Nov 10, 2014.

1. 02wrx84

02wrx84 Member

Has anyone confired that an aftermarket uppipe flows better than a stock catless? I need to do a catless on mine and im trying to decide if i want to save money and buy a stock catless or just go with an aftermarket. I did read a review that someone did where they tested both and got almost identical results from them. Anyone have input?

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I think it has been proven time after time that there is hardly any gains going from a stock catless up pipe to an aftermarket up pipe. Pros and cons to both if you are looking to replace a catted up. Stock will probably last you forever other that the heat shields rattling. Aftermarket up pipes have problems with cracking at the welds but they are easier to install/handle.

3. 02wrx84

02wrx84 Member

Thats what i had read, just wanted to see what others said about them on here, think ill save some money and go with stock catless.

4. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

You can also gutt your catted uppipe for free.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

worth the money if EWG otherwise about as pointless as CAI with a stockish turbo

6. integroid

If you do gut your factory cat, make 100% sure you have removed all of the catalyst before reinstalling.

7. 02wrx84

02wrx84 Member

Yea i thought about gutting mine i just would rather pull mine and have another on hand to throw back on so that my car isnt down all day while i gut the cat out and have to re-install.

8. integroid

Yeah and considering how cheap they are, it is good peace of mind knowing there is no catalyst left inside.

9. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

yeah thats a good point, 1 fragment left behind would wreck everything

10. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

I prefer aftermarket. Mine cracked twice in 3 years. Nothing my welder couldn't fix. :D