Strange encounter with insurance inspector

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GTscoob, Jan 7, 2006.

1. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Yesterday I had an insurance adjuster come out to take a look at my deer damage and take some pics. After taking pics of the damaged front end he went on to take pics of my wheels, the VIN plates on the door jam and windshield, and then pics of my gauge pod and Alpine head unit in the car. At the time I thought it was alright as that is some photo evidence that those parts are on my car in case anything ever gets stolen.

I told my mom about it when she got home last night and she's worried that he was taking those pictures as an effort to raise my insurance since the car isnt as much of a sleeper as it was when we first insured it. Another thing is that my car was insured as an automatic but that's changed now, the inspector took note of that (made the nice comment "seeing a 5speed in a wagon is rare, is this a sport model?").

I've never dealt with insurance people before but my mom had never heard of the inspector taking pictures of anything other than the damaged area of the car. I understand verifying the VIN number and mileage but the rest kinda freaked me out.

If anybody has any experience with this please chime in. This is with Progressive Insurance also.

-Bobby

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Maybe he just has a sick fantasty about your white wagon?

3. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Have you attempted to just ask him WHY? Or call up and speak to a different insurance agent and ask them what the procedure is when looking at the damaged areas.

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

Always believe and expect the worst from insurance adjusters. I had just liability on a motorcycle I was selling. I let the guy take it for a test ride, he crashed, I called insurance w/ an FYI. Did not even try to make a claim for the dmg and got a coverage denial letter w/ some policy quote I'd never seen before. There's many worse stories out on the net of course...

5. I agree to expect the worst from insurance companies. their job is to make money not protect the customers. But yeah, there will always be a horror story like no other out on the net, but the stories never mention the 2 billion claims that go by without a hitch.

Progressive was great when I had a fender bender with some guy in a truck. turned out the guy in the truck had a fake insurance card (before all the instant verification stuff) so it was covered under uninsured motorist.
    When my car gets paid off, I am going down to just liability, but I am definitely adding ninsured motorist. I've been in two accidents and both of them were with people without insurance.

6. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Update:

Talked to the guy yesterday and he said that the photos are just so that if the car is ever totalled it is proof that the "optional equipment" was on the car. Not mods, optional equipment :cool:

I should be meeting up with my parents and taking it to the body shop tomorrow and hopefully it will be back within 2-3 days, I'm getting my STI scoop painted too.

7. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Give the adjuster the "optional" SHOCKER...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]