Stripped Wheel Studs

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by LoveMyNewSoob, Sep 3, 2014.

1. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Has anyone else had problems with wheel studs stripping? Since I have had this car I have had to replace more than I can even count. Trying to do some work tonight, I just found a couple more that probably need to be replaced. Yesterday, Subaru of Kennesaw said they checked all of them (because I had to get two replaced on the rear tire), but now I can't get my wheel off.

This is really getting old. :squint:

Because of this issue I have started torquing my own lugs when I have service done...~75 ft/lbs

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

buy all new lug nuts

3. KGraska

KGraska Member

Do you get your service and wheel/tire stuff done at the dealership?

Lazy dealer mechanic + impact wrench = stripped lugs

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  4. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I get new lugs every time I get new studs.
    It has been different places. Like I mentioned earlier, it has happened so many damn times now, I usually just have them put them on loosely and I'll torque them myself.
    It is getting very old.

5. Justin V

Justin V Member

replacing 3 this week. Costco over torqued them

6. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

such a PITA. I must be over 10 now...
    Why are they so sensitive? I had never heard of this happening until I got this Subaru (Honda and Toyota previous cars)

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I've never, in 14 years of owning Subaru's... have ever stripped one.

8. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

That's what is so confusing to me! Don't know if it's me, or the dealership...or??
    :eek3:

9. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

So I'm at the dealership and they say I need all 5 on the front driver's side and one on the rear driver side (where they replaced 2 on Tuesday)
    Wtf?!?!

10. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

That doesnt sound right. I would make them show you the stubs before they take them off the car.

Which dealer are you at?

11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

SoK

12. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Kennesaw

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I've replaced several lug studs over the past 9 years. I think I am up to about 6 so far.

14. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

All studs back in and everything seems fine now. The tech told me that I really need to be careful taking the wheel off and on so I don't rub the wheel on the studs. Didn't think I was doing this before, but now, I will get out my white gloves for these delicate little things. Silly...just silly...:|

15. techlord

techlord Active Member

never had an issue

16. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Have you seen the lugs? I call BS unless the lug nuts themselves are cross threading and damaging.

17. Justin V

Justin V Member

Just swapped the 3 broken ones I had. Much easier than the ARPs I did a few weeks ago. I put antiseize on the threads and cleaned the lugs of any dust or dirt that might get them stuck.

18. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

no, I didn't. I could not move two lugs on the front forward or backward, so knew something was wrong. This also happened on one of the rears when I was trying to install springs. I ended up having to twist it back and forth until it finally snapped so that I could get the wheel off. On the front, they were stuck out away from the rim, so I had to drive to the dealership with some MAJOR wobble...which I'm assuming why all 5 needed replacing by the time I got there.
    I asked them what I need to do to stop this from happening and it quite frankly is getting ridiculous. The tech told that "rubbing" the wheel along the threads on removal or installation can cause problems. He also mentioned that one of the techs they had was notorious for this until they retrained them.
    I make it a point to not do this, but apparently it may be me anyways, in which case I need to be EXTRA careful next time I remove the wheels. Either way, I find it very disheartening to know that the studs are THAT sensitive, if that is in fact the case. Never had this problem, or even heard of it, until this car. Again, if is my negligence, that is fine and I can try to correct, but I removed wheels of my other two cars without incident. The service manager said he was having a call later that day and was going with corporate (or someone) and was going to bring it up...wonder how that ended? The tech that I spoke with even commented on wanting Subaru to send them stronger studs.
    Anywho...I guess I will take my new found knowledge and try to do better in the future, for what that may be worth.
    Thanks again everyone. This guy is still learning...

19. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

To answer your Service manager question every wheel stud that has been cross threaded or broken we've bagged up and sent them back to subaru asking for stronger studs especially for the WRX and STI with the XT included. We've noticed actually a lot of wheel studs lately within first oil change on most of the new ones. It seems factory is torquing them down more then we are as after several have broken on us taking them off. We've taken our TQ specs down to 80ft lbs trying to prevent further damage. Sorry to hear that your experience at SoK was not up to expectations. We've also been in a Hiring/Firing spree lately as SoK is about to under go construction to increase it's size and output.

20. I would not use antisieze if I were you.Clean dry threads and hand start the nuts then torque with a torque wrench.I am on my 3rd subaru with almost 400k total overall mileage and have never had an issue with lugs.Only place for goo on bolts is snow states..salt..

21. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks for the info.
    Just as an FYI, my issue was not with SoK, as I have always recieved great service from them. Just frustration on having to replace so many studs, and especially if it is a known problem. As stated before, I will try to be more careful when removing/installing the wheels.

22. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I have to take my car back this week, as I can't get the front left off now...the wheel where all 5 studs were replaced. What is going on!?!?

One thing I noticed yesterday while changing out my brake pads was that the tire iron that came with the car does not fit the lugs real snug (not as snug as my 19mm socket). Could that be putting too much pressue on the stud/lug causing the stripping?

23. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Tire iron has nothing to do with the stud threads themselves. Is it the stud that is stripping or the lugs themselves?

24. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

woudn't think so, but wasn't sure if that was throwing off the "angle" or something. I am troubleshooting anything I can at this point.

Not sure as I can't get it off. I end up having to twist it back and forth in place until the stud finally breaks so I can get the wheel off. So, that leaves part of the stud in the lug.

25. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Well it 'could' if you put the lugs on first with the iron but anyone should be finger tightening the lugs first.

26. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

yup, i am. I was thinking more of on the way off...but I guess I can cross that one off the list.

27. b reel

b reel Active Member

OEM is 12mm x 1.25 thread pitch. Make sure your lug nuts and studs are the same.

28. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I will double check, but this is on the wheel they replaced all 5 studs and lugs a few weeks ago, so I am assuming they knew which ones to put in there.

29. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

If you would do me a favor, I'm not sure if you've been in yet as I don't pay much attention to the service side of what comes in but I deal more with accessories and tires it seems. Let me know when you come in or what day you do. When you come in ask for Pockets, I wanna come and talk to you when I find out what's going on and stuff. I don't think it's you. I honestly don't I really want to figure it out though and I want to make sure we both can walk out of SoK that day with a smile on our faces.

Like I said when you come in ask for Pockets and I'll try and get a closer look at everything just to make sure who ever pulls it in has more then just one set of eyes looking your car over.

30. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks man! I appreciate that!
    Pm'd you