Strut Tower Braces?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by RADON, Mar 18, 2004.

1. RADON

RADON Member

I've been reading up on suspension mods and seems to me that the wagon benefits from a rear strut tower brace.

Any have any personal experience they wish to share? I have a cusco on a 3week backorder and have time to change my mind if needed.

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Well with a sedan, I do not, but by the general laws of support you should notice some sort of improvement over handling with the stiffer strut tower in there. Although I have read that b/c of the location of the towers (so close to the firewall), it wouldnt do as much as say adding stronger strut tower tops (mounts) to replace the more flexible OEM ones.

I'm still researching to see if thats true, it does make some sense though.

3. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I know whiteline makes a nice removable rear strut tower brace for the wagon. The ends stay on but the center section is quickly removed for if you have to carry stuff.

The Impreza chassis is already very stiff but I'd imagine the wagon is a little looser than the sedan because it is all open in the back. Our roof is lined with support bars. Check it out here

4. Porter

Porter Member

Hey man,

I have the brace at the shop if you want to look at one. The sedan brace is actually the one I prefer on the wagon, it looks cooler and you don't have to cut the carpet to make it clear.

Rear STB makes a noticeable difference in feel on a wagon.

5. GTscoob

Whats the difference in the two bars then?

I figured that there would be a big difference between them, or at least enough to warrant two different versions.

6. Porter

Porter Member

Shape of the bracket.

The wagon version lets you put the felt top cap back on, but you have to cut the trim on the side of the strut tower.

The sedan version is more sculpted looking, very cool. The top caps won't fit though.

7. RADON

RADON Member

I got the cusco type os a while back, and it mounts cleanly with only cutting the top caps a little.

Oh and if you have a wagon, you'll notice a difference right away.

8. GTscoob

I want a strut bar that I wont have to cut anything to use.

My parents own my car and want to keep everything stock so I can trade it in in a couple years when I graduate.

They dont know about all the mods though . . .

So the strut bar really makes a difference on a wagon huh. I need more money . . . time to start robbing banks or dealing drugs or something.

9. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

... or street racing... fast n furious style :D

10. RADON

RADON Member

With either the cusco or whiteline, you don't have to cut the top caps. You just don't put them on.

11. Porter

Porter Member

The Whiteline bars are an economical 150 bones.

12. GTscoob

mmm Whiteline. The same suspension stuff as anyone else and half the price.:D :D :D

13. Porter

Porter Member

Yep. And built like they expect nuclear war just around the corner. Their strut tower braces look like aircraft parts.

Here's the standard wagon rear bar, you'll see what I mean about cutting out the trim:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191

If any wagon owners out there are worried about being able to remove the bar for times when you need to haul a load, they've just released a quick release kit. I'm going to have a few of these bits in next month, as soon as they get here from AUS.

Check it: http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/095_ksbQ.pdf

14. GTscoob

cool. Thanks for the quick reply.

15. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

yep... they sure do look like it

16. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

Cost of rear bar and quick release kit

Porter,
    What's the cost of the rear bar and the quick release kit at Classic Subaru (when you get them in)? I'm really interested (assuming the price is right), but I don't want to lose my wonderful ability to carry large loads of stuff when necessary.