Subaru Extra S

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by liltoua, Mar 26, 2015.

1. liltoua

liltoua Member

In need of some guidance. Still reading as we speak, but I need to do a transmission flush before I go beating on my car this weekend for IA so I need to come up with a solution today haha.

So from the information I've been gathering, Subaru dealers do not carry the Extra S transmission fluid anymore? Here is a picture I pulled up from nasioc. Apparently the new stuff is different than Extra S they use to carry.

[​IMG]

So the question is should I just run the new Subaru stuff? I got an 05 STI 6 speed in the car. Anyone care to chime in?

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

outbacksprt is a tech at SoK. He would know.

3. Justin V

Justin V Member

I have some if you want it.

I bought the 5 gal pale a few months back... might only have enough for a sti gear box... not sure what rear diff you are running. Older ones need the 90W lsd oil.

I'm trying to make it to Ellenwood tomorrow

4. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea I think the 6 speed takes like 4.3 quarts? Yea I just need to flush the transmission itself. I swapped in the rear R180 late last year with new fluid so it should be good. Hmmm I don't get off work until 5 and Ellenwood is about 35mins away from me haha.

5. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

if you pull the main torx drain plug and the secondary plug, yes it should be about 4qts from the last 2 times i've done the transimission.

If you pull off the little panel where the secondary plug is at, there is a donut magnet that ive been cleaning every other change, and you get a little more to drain out too.

6. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

We have been using the quarts since the pails became unavailable, without issue. We were told it was the same fluid as the 5 gallon, it's just packaged and sold differently now.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  7. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

oh so its not a supply shortage, the extra s is straight up discontinued?! hrm well at least its good to hear no one is having any issues with the stuff

8. liltoua

liltoua Member

I guess since SOG is walking distance from work I'll just pick up some of the new stuff and give it a try for this weekend. Kinda skeptic, but I hope Subaru knows what they're doing lol.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

Any quality GL-4 75w90 will work in a Subaru 5 or 6spd transmission and diffs. I've been running AMSoil in all of my cars since 05 without any issues.

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

Haven't looked but the new fluid may be the newer GL5 class which is the severe duty version of AMSoil so you should be good with the new lube from Subaru

11. liltoua

liltoua Member

I just put the new Subaru OEM 75w-90 into the car yesterday. I started draining the fluid and it came out thick and green. I started freaking out haha. I've never seen green tranny fluid before. Everyone confirmed it was Scotty's cocktail so i'm relief now.

Started reading up on it and apparently the cocktail mixture isn't ideal for the 6 speed because it can clog the oil pumps in the 04-06 6 speeds because we have a transmission oil pump. Still reading up more about it. Not sure if it's related or not but when I went to took off my drain bolt I could see the tranny fluid dripping out of the passanger axle. I'm assuming axle seal is going bad so might need to replace that.

I'm just going to run Extra S replacement gear oil for now and see how it goes. It feels the same as before except that I got a grind or two when I downshifted from 5th to 4th. Maybe I just suck at downshifting, but going to keep an eye out on it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015