Subaru of South Atlanta.

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by MeFryRice, Jul 15, 2009.

1. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

As a couple people know already, I'm actively looking for an MY08 Aspen White Forester Sport XT with the 5-speed tranny. I've been searching SF.org, CL, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc to try and locate one and there are 0 for sale in the country. I have even created a WTB thread on here and SF.org to help with the search but no luck so far.

So yesterday on the way home, the gf and I decide to swing by the Subaru dealership in Union City to see if they could find one in their database as either a pre-owned or leftover inventory. As soon as we pull up, we walk directly into the dealership at which time a salesman walks over to see if he could assist us (keep in mind that the gf and I are the only customers in this place and a total of 3 employees are visible). This is how the conversation went.

Salesman: Hi, welcome to Subaru. Is there something I can help you with?
    Me: I'm looking for a certain Subaru and wanted to see if you would be able to help me out?
    Salesman: Absolutely, what are you looking for?
    Me: An 08 Aspen White Forester Sport XT with a 5-speed.
    Salesman: Ok, well lets walk over to my desk and fill out a vehicle locator sheet so I can give it to our guy to start searching for one.

We walk over to his desk, he grabs a form and we fill it out. The salesguy takes it to the back to where this "guy" can find any vehicle we're looking for. In the meantime, LB and I walk over to an Impreza 5-dr they have on the showroom floor. MAYBE 2-3 minutes later, our salesman walks back with a different piece of paper in hand.

Salesman: There are only 3 for sale in the country.
    Me: Wow, I'm surprised you even found 1 as they are pretty hard to come by. Is it white?
    Salesman: No, it's beige.
    Me: I'm only interested in white. (I also ask to see the paper he had in his hand and which I notice the trim level is the limited, not the sport).
    Salesman: Your stuck on the white?
    Me: Yes.
    Salesman: Ok, hold on, I'll be right back.

A few minutes go by and he comes back.

Salesman:
    Well to keep us motivated to keep looking for this car, we're going to ask that we receive a payment from you.
    Me: Why? (Why am I going to give you payment for a car that's not even found yet?)
    Salesman: It's to keep us interested in searching for your car, you know, some inspiration.
    Me: Ok, well, do you want to just give me a call when you find one and I can give you a check or my cc number to hold the vehicle? Once you find the car, I can just bring a check from bank. It'll make it an easy process.
    Salesman: Well we won't start searching until we receive payment.
    Me: How much "payment" are you requesting?
    Salesman: We'd need at least $2000.
    Me: I'll continue to look for the car myself and if I come to this point, then MAYBE I'll come see you.

At this point, we walk out. I'm disquested to see that they are asking for $2000 just to even start searching for a vehicle. I'm not going to give you money just to give you motivation to get off your lazy ass to do your job. Especially since I told him I'd be walking in the door with a check in hand. Easy process that takes a few minutes of your time and puts food on your table at night.

I won't be back to that dealership.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

dang....that's a load of crap!

3. ZenMotors

ZenMotors Member

Wow, that was down right dirty.

Go to SOK talk to Luis he will take care of you.

4. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

to try and do such a thing ever is just ridiculous...but even more so right now with the economy, you think they would do everything in your favor!! Good luck with finding your car!

5. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

I'm not usually one to complain but I think I may call the GM of the dealership today to notify him of how his employees handled the situation.

6. ohmypearls

ohmypearls Banned

Screw the GM go directly to SOA... this needs to be dealt with. I'm sorry this guy tried to fool you! Next time come to SOK they search for cars w/out payment, because it's their job... lol :D

7. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

I just got off the phone with the general manager of the dealership and he had informed me that the only reason why any sales associate should even consider requesting money is IF they were to find the vehicle in an auction, which they still have 24 hrs to make a bid on it. Would he had explained this originally, I would not be calling up there to complain. I asked him if we were to get a vehicle via an auction and it was not in the shape that meets my expectations, would I be obligated to purchase it? His response, "Everyone should have some leniency." I don't think so considering I'm the one coughing up the cash to buy it. Seems like poor customer service all around.

8. El_Diablo

El_Diablo Member

I already reported this dealership to SOA. A few months ago they had an 09 Spec.B I was looking at. I emailed them about it, they came back with a price, I counter-offered -as one normally does in that situation- and the salesman came back and insulted me. I was really, really pissed. He said I must didn't know that this car was so awesome b/c it had NAVI, etc...

I just told him that that stupid Subaru NAV unit didn't add 3000 dollars to the price like he claimed and ripped him a new asshole. Then told him he was getting reported to SOA. Some sales manager tried to apologize, and I told him it was too late.

Oh well, that's my story. Probably wasn't a very good one, but oh well. That place sucks to me.

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

that is really shitty. SOA should definitely be notified of the shadiness....

10. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Good luck with the search, I searched for 4 months and had gary at sog lloking for virtually the same thing sans proper gearbox. Nothing ever really surfaced so we settled on a '07 black limited since wanted leather. Good luck on the search

11. atlxkevinx

atlxkevinx Member

wth. that's dirty.

12. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

I know exactly which Spec.B your referring too. The one on the showroom right?

Was the sales manager's name Sean?

13. El_Diablo

El_Diablo Member

Yes to the manager. The Spec.B isn't on their web-page anymore, so I just assumed they'd sold it. He gave me a good price, but I think I came under him at about a grand under his "lowest possible price" which is bs anyways, thinking we could meet in the middle.....he thought I was crazy b/c it had NAV.....

Whatever. I bestowed upon him my knowledge of Subarus and the like and told him how unprofessional he was, especially considering the minute amount of cars people are selling, and called him a bad businessman.

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

Interesting, I deal with the service department quite frequently as do my parents and have never had a bad experience on that side of the dealership. Will have to say that sales side seems to be more interested in selling used cars than the new ones though. I'll continue to buy parts from them but wouldn't dream of buying a car from them. I tried before job security became an issue and they had no desire to work on a set price on the black STI they had before Christmas. Will make a point of bringing this issue up when I stop by to pick up parts Thursday.

15. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

dealerships make more money selling a used car than they do a new car.

16. ohmypearls

ohmypearls Banned

+1.

They are trying to make sure you buy a car from them at any costs.

17. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Parts/service dept were pretty nice at this dealership so its sad to see that the sales dept is a letdown.