Subaru where is the love?

Discussion in 'General Community' started by superhawk28, Jul 21, 2014.

1. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

The local Subaru dealer told a close friend that they consider a quart of oil over 1200 miles is what they qualify the excessive oil consumption for the TSB. (She has a 2013 Outback).

If that “add a quart” light ever comes on before you’re through the oil service period then there is an issue. I didn't even know the newer Subaru's had such a light. The previous service period (not this one, she’s down ¾ of a quart about 1500 miles ago) the light came on twice and she added two quarts of oil.

Her husband told her to make sure that it gets recorded in her service record before the warranty expires (quite shortly… 2-3000 miles from now) and to explicitly demand that it be put in there so that when the car has problems in a year or so the note will be there.

Think she needs to talk to someone at Subaru NA instead?

This is just getting plain ridiculous.

2. longfury

longfury Active Member

My BRZ is the first Subaru I have owned that used oil. It uses about 1 quart per 7500 miles.

My STI's and WRX's never used any that I could tell from the dip stick.

3. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

My meth injected EJ205 had it's oil changed every 5000 miles contrary to the tuners recommendation to change it every 3000 and it NEVER burned any oil until I hit the 170,000 mile mark at which point that engine was just plain give out.

This is just poor customer relations. Makes you wonder if they even care at all.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I would say my BRZ doesn't consume any oil, but truth be told, I don't check it. I take it to the dealer and they replace it. :p

5. KGraska

KGraska Member

06 WRX with 62k on the clock. It consumes NO measurable mount of oil over 5k miles. I have heard that 1qt of consumption or less between oil changes is now considered "Normal" by SOA....can't say I agree though.

Have you guys seen the new lawsuit related to piston ring failures? Oddly enough it doesn't include WRX and STI models.

Here's a link: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...fects-leading-to-potential-engine-failure.htm

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

Blame Yamaha, they designed the Piece Of Shit.

7. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Latest updates:

Dealership noted that the issue falls under powertrain which is 60k not the 36k bumper to bumper (wasn't aware of that she just told me warranty was near over). Dealership wants the car to be brought in every 1200 miles to be checked for free. If the low oil light comes on bring it by for a free top off and a service entry. Looks like it's gonna be documented to death and hopefully addressed. She is happy with that esp since she daily drives past the dealership.

Glad it was escalated to the service manager since the original service advisor was being an ignorant no care jerk.

8. Matt

I wonder if the class action lawsuit that's circling around had any bearing on the service manager stepping up.

9. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Who knows but the phrase "The recent recalls with GM give you all the reason to worry."

Ummmmm recalls from other companies or not it's still concern.

10. Matt

11. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

LOL there ya go!

12. KGraska

KGraska Member

13. 406z

406z New Member

1 Quart every 1200 miles? That seems insane. At their required worry level a 4.5 quart engine would have little to no oil by the time it hit 7k which is where most people change their synthetic oil. Didn't know they were installing rotary engines with bad seals in new outbacks.

14. Subaru is not the only manufacturer to have 1 qt every 1200 rule.Evidently they are expecting people to learn how to start checking your oil level between oil changes.Esp with other companies allowing 10k miles between changes now.