SubieSport Mag

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Strayen, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

I filled out the stuff on Subaru's website to get my free first yr of Subie Sport but I never got anything. Is it even worth bothering about?

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

IMO, no. subiesport is weak.

3. Its a good mag. Some of the articles I could care less about, but most of it is good.

There was an opportunity to get a free year of subie sport? damn, I missed that...

4. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

Weak or not, it supports the Subaru cult, which is more important than anything else. Not that Subaru's are going to drop off the face of the earth, its still a good idea.

Added: Don't forget they also did a article about WRXatlanta.com. Who's to say that this hasn't brought more attention and members to the site... Not to mention another article about two specific members and their autox'ing addiction. It may not have the technical detail, but no mag is all-incompassing, besides GRM.

There is a dilemma here. You can't build a great magazine that is in depth with technical info, racing, etc... or just a longer magazine in general without a large fan base. Subiesport can't get better if people knock it and no new people subscribe to it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  5. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Yes, I received a brochure with some code from Subaru directly for purchasing the car new. I followed the directions but nothing. I haven't yet fully created my account on "My Subaru" website.

6. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

I learned all about suspention from the the previous issue, all in all i think it's good

7. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

I agree. Just go to Barnes & Noble or Borders and read it!

8. Alex

Give me the money, Ill build you a magazine :)

9. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Are you sure you're not talking about the Subaru Drive magazine?
    That's the only one I know of that you need to sign up for with "MySubaru".

10. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Was it that? I did receive 1 of those. That was totally worthless. I thought it was Subie Sport. laaaaame....

11. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

There is also a "Subaru Performance" magazine you can subscribe to along with Subaru Drive. Both are not bad since they are free but I certainly would not pay for it

12. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^ that's the one I was thinking of.

I get both the Drive and Performance issues about twice a year.

13. Alex

Yeah they're biannually or whatever the correct name for it is.

14. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

haha love your new avatar alex!

15. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I have to agree with Alex here. The only reason I would support Subiesport in the future is not because they did an article on us, or they did an article about Brian and Mere, or the article about Danny Loman. I would support them only because one of our members writes for them. That is most likely the reason they did an article on WRXatlanta. I believe it was our Member/Writer that suggested it, or wrote the article and sent it in.

As for your comment quoted above, you can build a great magazine that is in depth with technical info, racing, etc... without a larger fan base. What you can't do is create the above while only catering to a single community, Subaru.

It is like I said before, is there a magazine devoted to Hondas only? Mazda, Nissan, Mitsu? My Guess, NO. Why, even a die hard Honda Fanatic gets bored looking at only Honda stuff.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  16. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I think Drive is set up automatically when you buy a Subaru new from a dealer. Drive Performance you have to sign up for thru MySubaru.

17. clemsonscooby

So because there is no status quo we should just hang a suby magazine out to dry...

I don't know about most automotive magazine readers, but I have to subscribe to more than one mag to be satisfied monthly. Not even GRM can hold me over.

18. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

There is actually a mag called "Honda Tech". Only honda cars included. Also, there are magazines that cater to only one manufacturer. They are mostly in Barnes & Noble and Borders though.

19. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Why do some dislike Subiesport? I dont think I'm clear on that.

Sure there's room for improvement, but its there a specific dislike that make one not purchase it?

20. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I just don't think it is worth the money. The articles are generally dull in my opinion. The only writer that matches my style and can keep my interest is Patrick, and that is probably because I know him personally. I honestly could care less about Joe Shmos Brat Build, or the hotness or John Does Subaru Baja. Everything else is the normal run of the mill stuff you see on the street daily or find in the real car mags like Import Tuner and Sport Compact Car. I spend 50% of my day on here, and in the past, the other 50% was spent on Nasioc, so it wasn't like i was reading anything new in the Mag.

I was a paying subscriber when they first started, and read the first couple mags cover to cover, but now, there may be one article in each issue I am interested in, and it is not worth it for that 1 article.

21. Ashley25

Ashley25 Member

If anyone ends up calling SubieSport lemme know if the person you talk to is helpful. I am having a SubieSport problem of my own.

22. clemsonscooby

What happened?

23. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I think that SubieSport has really sucked lately. They really do need to expand their coverage of motorsports and have more interesting articles. I am a subscriber, but I find that there just isn't much interesting stuff in it.

24. Ashley25

Ashley25 Member

A friend of mine gave me a subscription as a Christmas gift and I only received 1 issue. I did move in the Spring time and I just wrote it off that it was my fault for not providing my new address...BUT...when it came time to renew my subscription they were able to find me. So bottom line, they find me when they want my money but they couldn't find me when they needed to send me what they owe me. GGGGRRRRRRRR:mad:

25. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I have to agree.

I chose not to renew.

I wasn't impressed with the last issue I read ( the one with the totaled black WRX on the cover .)

26. Alex

I dont see why it cant be changed...

27. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

While i can agree that the content is getting a little lightweight, esp now that zero-to-hero is done, i most certainly don't think it crosses over(yet) with IT and SCC mags. Those pubilcations just feel so much more 'lower common denominator' than Subiesport, even if Subiesport is getting mediocre.

i've noticed it getting thinner,too. :(

But I disagree; i like hearing/reading about other kinds of subarus beyond current gen imprezas. I mean, come on, the racing pedigree was built on the legacy. the other cars they made were fun too.

I spend 50% of my day on here, and in the past, the other 50% was spent on Nasioc, so it wasn't like i was reading anything new in the Mag.

I was a paying subscriber when they first started, and read the first couple mags cover to cover, but now, there may be one article in each issue I am interested in, and it is not worth it for that 1 article.[/QUOTE]