Suggestion: chat room?

Discussion in 'Community Announcements & News' started by mattprzy, Jan 22, 2006.

1. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I suggest a chat room! What do you guys think?

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

couldnt you consider this a chatroom with delayed replies?

3. married05gt

married05gt starting over

AIM is prety close.

4. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

i'm up for it.

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

personally i dont like the chat room idea... on the boards:

* u can be a part of discussions even if u check the boards only once in a couple of days
    * discussions are archived for future reference

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I agree, past threads are public archives for knowledge, humor, etc.

7. scuby drew

scuby drew techos ftws!!EEEE

agreed, chat rooms tend to lead to drama as well...

8. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i think we need to have chat rooms just for fun of it.. we all can chat real time.. whenever we all get on to check the board, we can just say hi or sumthing...and chat room history gets loged on to a chat board where everything is saved.. sumthing aol uses..

9. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i think matt wants something a little more "real time", could be cool i suppose.

10. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

i think that a chat room woiuld be to fast paced and jumbled to get anything discussed productively

11. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I kinda like the idea of having the chat room logged. Plus I would think we wouldn't always be talking about cars in it. It would be more of a "for fun" thing along with talking about cars if you want to ask inside the chat room. Possibily even sharing something you might have done that is considered "rice" and you don't want to share it to everybody on the forums (then we would not opt for chat logging in that case?) and just do a spur of the moment kind of thing.

12. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

what do the mod's think abt this??

13. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

How about a structured sticky yahoo/aim/icq thread. Then you can create a user room and invite people that should be on your list. Just list a time available for chat for those who may be at work at certain times, maybe some other info.

14. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

i say we can try it on a trial basis? i mean i've been on a few forums in my time, and have not seen a more mature forum than this one is. i honestly don't think there would be any drama in the chat rooms. def a good group we got here.
    also, we could post a chat meet for g2g's and discuss when/where, and all the details on it in a "small chat meet." it saves a lot of time trying to coordinate those meets.

15. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

I second that, sounds like a better idea to talk about ricey stuff.:hug:

16. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

no interest, if it matters.

17. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I like the idea of a chat room too. A lot of car clubs seem to have them. I think somebody mentioned the idea of one here a while back but nothing came of it.

Mark