Suggestion on which BMW to buy?????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sikwrx04, Nov 25, 2013.

1. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

Going to part ways with my 04 wrx soon, so i've been looking at different BMW to buy but haven't made up my mind. Which one do you guys prefer or have any of you guys had experience with any of these models?

02 M3 or 06+ 328i, 328xi and 04+ 525i

(Can't really afford a decent 335i with low miles)

2. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Personally I wouldn't want an all wheel drive BMW. Stick with FR ones

3. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Decent E46 m3's bring prices that will typically come close to buying a decent 335i these days.

The only one i would be interested in in your list is a 6spd only e46.

4. slade1274

slade1274 Member

6 speed 135
    #biased

5. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

6 speed mini cooper
    #biased too

6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Save some more money and get a 335i

7. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

335i if you want to spend close to 30k.

Decent e46 with 90-100k miles will also cost around 17k+

06+ 5 series would be your best bet.

What is your budget?

8. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

If you can't swing the payments on a used 335i, can you swing the cost of repairs on a used/old BMW? I'm not saying german cars have high cost of repairs, but I'm no fool not to have the funds ready incase something needs to be repaired.

9. Justin V

Justin V Member

This.

I'd love an E46, but my friends 06 had the vanos go out and when they tore it down the cam had actually cracked. And watch the subframes. They were too stiff and would tear the mounting points on the chassis in the earlier models.

The 335i's are wicked with a tune, but the fuel pump issues scare me away.

My dad had an 04 328ci. It was a very nice car but it was needing the random repairs. Head gasket $4000, some coolant tank cracked.

When he got the coolant tank repaired he drove off the lot and traded it on a RDX for my mom.

My subaru hasn't given me many trouble free miles, but the fun factor is greater than I'd get out of a BMW. If you are still set on them I prefer the 5 series.

10. KGraska

KGraska Member

If you want something fun get the M3. The E46 M3 is a blast to drive but parts for the engine are expensive since its only used in one vehicle BMW makes. The only vehicle you listed with a limited slip rear end. Also stay away from the SMG transmission because its complete garbage and ruins the car.

328s and 525s are slow as hell. Also xDrive BMW's are pointless in GA, its basically RWD unless you absolutely need the front wheels, also adds to maintenance costs and initial cost of the vehicle.

What are you looking to spend? For the cost of an E46 M3 you could get a 535 or 335 a little over 50k miles with CPO Warranty up to 100k. CPO Warranty has a $50 deductable but covers the big stuff like the engine, trans, fuel system. You'd lose the limited slip but gain the N54 twin turbo I6. It blows the old M3s away when it comes to torque. They actually make more from the factory than the E92 M3s with the V8.

The fuel pump redesign in 2011 fixed all of the fuel pump issues with the N54 engine. Also BMW extended the Warranty on the HP Fuel Pumps to 10yr/120k and the turbos to 8yr/82k.

I work for one of the largest pre-owned BMW dealerships in the country and drive dozens of these cars daily. 98% of my inventory is 2008+ BMWs. If you're local shoot me a PM and you can come out and drive a bunch of different models.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  11. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Here is a dealer in Marrietta who has good deals and inventory of 335i with warranty. I know someone who has bought two from there and has been happy with his purchase.

www.iqautos.com

12. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Depends on how much you want to spend, I might have a 07 335i for sale.

13. KGraska

KGraska Member

This is where I work actually ^^^

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I've been told by people who purchased from them in the past to be wary of them. They can be shady..

15. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

I have a 03 E39 540i and 02 E46 M3. Both E39 and E46 are excellent cars. Maintenance can be expensive, but the DIY community is big and most stupid maintenance things can be fixed by yourself. I would stay away from 04 525i they are underpowered and first year of new model. You can find a pretty nice 03 540i M Sport for 10K range. M62TU(v8) in 540i is pretty fast and very reliable. Just make sure the cooling system has been overhauled, that is the most expensive failure item. Send me a PM if you have any questions. BMW's are awesome!

A great forum to look for cars.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/index.php

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  16. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

My budget will sit some where around 13-14k, I would love the 335i but don't think i can afford it, as in parts and maintenance i am not really worried about it since i have a good friend that is a Sales manager at the BMW dealership in Gwinnett, He even told me if i did decide to buy a used/private seller, he'll get one of his tech to inspect the car before i buy it.

I've been having my eye on this M3
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4208588673.html

17. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

my buddy Nate has that same trim and everything. Love the baseball glove seats!

18. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

My old E46 M3 was my favorite car I have ever owned. Maintenance was a bear though. Have to use special oil, Vanos fears always lurks, and at 100K you should do a very expensive massive cooling system overhaul/replacement.

But with the 4.10 gears, headers, my M3 was VERY fun to drive.

19. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

What do you guys think about the Lexus IS 250/350???

20. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

My brother has an IS350 its fast ish, but has a very bland refined driving experience.

21. KGraska

KGraska Member

Boring as hell to drive. The steering has absolutely no feel to it at all. They are comfortable to ride in but pretty slow compared to an STI or 335.

They are pretty reliable through compared to other luxury brands. Parts are expensive for them but they rarely break.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  22. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

e46 m3's are tough to beat, e9x 328i would be alright aswell. n54's in the e9x's are known for high pressure fuel pumps issues/ wastegate rattles

sorry for late response

23. slade1274

slade1274 Member

hpfp issues have been fixed since 2011

All problem models have a 10yr 100k warranty on them

24. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

which is why i said n54, the n55 doesnt have the same pump issue, but that motor isnt as stout as the n54 - bmw cut a lot of costs on the internals

25. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Agreed, what I wanted to point out is that it shouldn't detract from the vehicle because due to the high failure rate on the N54 HPFP they are ALL warrantied for 10yr 120k miles, so it really isn't an issue in purchasing one with that backing.

FYI... my water pump went on my N54 last week at 78k miles. CPO warranty covered for $50.