Sunshine

Discussion in 'Movie Reviews' started by Deke, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Deke

Deke Active Member

This movie is a year or two old but I just saw it for the first time about a month ago. I fell in love with it. Simply put, it is one of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen. It has amazing special effects, but at no point does it feel overbearing. I really wish I had seen it in theaters, but a nice flat screen does a pretty good job.

It's from director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, 28 Days Later). The basic premise is that 50 years in the future, the sun is dying and a team of scientists is sent to reignite it.

Overall I thought the movie was rather well executed. It didn't have that certain feel that most sci-fi movies tend to carry. My only real complaint with it (and I believe the majority of reviewers agree with me) is that the movie changes pace pretty drastically in the last 30 minutes or so. However, this is not enough to ruin it for me. And I must say, the ending gives me chills everytime.

Has anyone else seen it? What's your take?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

About to watch it now.

3. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

I thought this movie was beautiful. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember it being visually stunning, like you said, and I think the change of pace in the end was welcome. It got a bit of an Event Horizon thing going on at the end, but that part brought me back into the movie with some force.

4. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yeah, this is certainly true. I guess it's not that I didn't like the last 3rd, it just seemed to kind of jump film genres.

I felt like it was a great hybrid of a few different sci-fi movies. I just like the fact that it seemed to focus more on the story and the characters than the technology. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of sci-fi, but this one just seemed to have so much more substance than most.

Also, I forgot to mention, the soundtrack is great. It just fits perfectly IMO.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Sound track is beyond awesome...I saw it when it was released sometime last year, it is definitely worth a watch. I love his directorial style.

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I liked the film a lot.. I got to watch it on my friends home theater system (HD projector, 11 speaker surround) in blu-ray. Colors were really vivid and it almost seemed 3D, with amazing sound. As far as the review, you guys pretty much nailed it. It bothered me a little that went from save the world to Event Horizon there at the end. Its should have just stayed with the 1st plot and ended it out, it was a strong enough premise to do just that... But at the end of the day, I still liked it so...

7. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

I just put this movie on my netflix Q....I gotta see what all the hoopla is about

8. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I'll have to DL this. I've enjoyed every other Danny Boyle movie.

9. Its a must see for those with good taste in movies.It did remind me of event horizon in some ways but it seemed to be a thinking mans sci-fi/horror movie.