Supporting Macintosh

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by techlord, Mar 13, 2009.

1. techlord

techlord Active Member

Well I know we have some MAC guru's here and I am trying to compile some resources for supporting MAC's, from a desktop support role. Especially supporting them in an enterprise.
    Looking for:
    good books
    reference materials
    support/forum websites
    Internal support documents would be great as they usually spell it right out.

So that we are clear I am not particularly interested in trying to use a mac but fixing issues that may arrise while operating in an enterprise environment. Just more BS work is adding to my plate.

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

contact sharpe on here. I'm pretty sure he does the exact same thing you do for Tumi luggage company. They use macs as their kiosks. He's not their mac guy, but I'm sure he would know about some of the stuff you need.

3. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

i get a lot of help from macrumors.com the forums there are really helpful.

4. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

i know this is an old thread, just curious who uses a mac on here and what antivirus/internet security software you all use?

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

Mac users don't need antivirus software. But those who do have it, usually just use norton. I had norton but deleted it and never had a problem. The biggest issue causing program I've run into with macs was limewire. On macs it overwrites files constantly, whether its running or not. It eventually overwrote my startup files and the OS didn't know how to start. Genius bar fixed it for free tho.

6. Eco Auto Clean

I just worry about ordering over the internet for the most part. I use it for mainly DJing and of course posting on here. Thanks for the info!

7. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Wrong. Macs have viruses. Be safe. get something

8. trouble06

trouble06 Member

switch to Mac almost a year ago and will not go back to Windows.
    Only one thing bother me but can be fixed, is that if I need to update my AP or need to have a map e-mailed, I'll need Windows!

9. Eco Auto Clean

I agree..I can't stand using my PC anymore, my next extra spending will be a iMac probably.... Do you have a internet security/anti virus?

10. trouble06

trouble06 Member

no, I don't. It's suppose to be "virtual virus free"
    But so far so good, don't have to buy or update the "virtual anti virus"!

11. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Ive had my G4 Powerbook online since day one, even on Ga Tech's networks (WRXAtlanta was originally built on that G4 :kiss:). I have never had a problem with it. In fact, I love it. It has a failing logic board so I do not really use it anymore unless I want some tunes or to browse the forum while in the kitchen cooking.

FWIW, I am considering a mac desktop for my next desktop :eek: But this has more to do with the fact that I am returning to web development and really pumping up my photography.