Sway bars questions...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by SonicBoom, Nov 17, 2004.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Guys,
    Thinking about getting front/rear sway bars soon, either cobb or cusco... questions are..
    1. which is better? Cobb's are larger and lighter...
    2. do you have to do the endlinks at the same time? I've read about sway bars rubbing on stock links...

any input would be helpfull...

Got Boost?

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Well the cobb sway bars are hollow I believe.

There was some thread a while back on here about advantages and disadvantages between the two.

As far as endlinks, most of the larger swaybars are stiff enough to actually break the stock ones, which is why people upgrade.

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Send me an IM sometime, we'll talk about this and also see what we can hook you up with. We just set jason (genya) up with sti pink endlinks and sti pink trailing arms.

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

alex, not sure how to IM you so I'll just have to wait 4 u to check this thread again. As stated earlier, just looking to tighten up a little bit(had understeer a couple times that scared the crap out of me..-yes, i realize it couldv'e been my driving-). Cobbs and Cusco's stuff looked pretty decent, but open to suggestions.
    My concern for now is if I'm going to end up needing both sways and end links I'm going to have to wait a while to save the cash. If I can just to the sways now I could probably swing it...
    Thanks!

Got Boost?

5. GTscoob

You could probably just go with a rear sway bar. The front is 20mm if you have an 02 or 03, which is decent sized.

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

AIM s/n's WRXatlanta or alex6speed

7. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

def go with cusco if cobb and cusco are your only choices. it is bieleved that hollow sway bars are bad, especially when stiffness is the entire point of a bigger sway bar.

the cusco rear sway bar is fine, leave it on its lowest setting (22mm?) until you can afford new endlinks. i feel the cusco front sway leaves something to be desired since its only a 21mm, i would much prefer atleast a 22mm and ideally a 24mm front sway bar.

and an added bonus is that cusco is cheaper.

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

thanks guys, I went with whiteline 24mm front and 22 adjustable rear. Along with whiteline rear endlinks that look like they belong on a tank. Just waiting to install them... Also pondering painting the rear bar red, unfinished silver just isn't doing it 4 me.

9. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

excellent choice, where did you buy from?

i will be looking for an update as to how it handles with the new goodies;) .

what other mods do you have.

10. longfury

longfury Active Member

I have the same setup and it is best decribed as neutral. You can make the car understeer or oversteer but YOU have to make it do those things. I also have Work Emotions CR kai's for wheels with Toyo Proxes 4's in a 225/45/17. they are a little narrow for the 8" wheels which means i will probally go with a 235/40 when i get new ones. its great to have a sedan:cool:

Richard

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Wrboxer.... bought setup at Classic, a little pricey but no shipping, no wait...

Should be installing this coming Sunday, so I'll let you know how she handles..

Big question, is you picture correct? Is there another Sonic Suby in the area? If so, we need to find more, to combat milomans group of 'black beautys'!!!

Mods so far are 17'enkei's/225' kuhmo 712's, Cobb accessport, some small stuff...K&N panel, Mobil synthetic...

12. GTscoob

Some older man down in Peachtree City has a sonic yellow.

Auxiliary on Importatlanta.com also has one.

13. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

oh yes, sonic yellow all the way.

mods

helix up/dp
    borla hush
    cobb ap
    painted side skirts
    20% tint
    omori boost guage in place of stock one

all ready ordered going on x-mas

eibach springs
    helix rear sway and endlinks
    sti hardened front top hats
    whiteline front sway bar

14. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

wrboxer...good 2 hear, Sonic all the way...2 strong...

quick questions,
    1)where and how much 2 paint the sideskirts..
    2)did you swap out your boost gauge, or just put a different one where factory ones usually go. I ask because I've always hated the stock boost gauge cuz it reads MPa's when the rest of america reads PSI. I hate doing math while at WOT!! Really hoping I can just swap'em out..

15. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

i cant remember how much, i know i paid extra $ becuase the guy i brought it to does real quality work. he does alot of paint and body work for old resotration cars. id say i think he charged $300, i certainly think you can find it for less.

the factory boost guage is 45mm, so any boost guage that is 45mm should fit right in. the omori fits right it in, but it is a very tight fit...it will just take alittle more time to squeeze it in to place.

http://206.130.97.171/product_info.php/products_id/90?osCsid=1fe224d026ceafddab5ba14a517baf6c

16. GTscoob

thats a nice looking gauge