sway vs. strut

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by sleepsilver, Mar 4, 2005.

1. sleepsilver

sleepsilver New Member

what is the difference between sway bars, and strut bars? and which provides better handling? i'm really baffled by the whole thing.

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

if u have a sedan, the difference made by the strut tower bars will be virtually unnoticable unless ur on a full race setup with slicks... swaybar upgrade will give u a significant improvement in cornering by eliminating body roll

if u uprade swaybars and tires, ur car will handle beautifully

3. longfury

longfury Active Member

I agree with Milo. I would say a 24mm front and a 20-24mm rear set to 22mm. Thats what I have and I am very very happy. The Prodrive springs help too. :)

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i have 26mm front and 24mm rear... and i LOVE it

5. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

I'm thinking about 22F and 20R. I know that it's not a big jump compare to stock, but i want to keep streetability. Sometime my GF drives my car. I don't want her to spin out unexpectly due to oversteer.

I went with struts and spring first before sway bars. I got STi v8 take offs with JDM pink springs. They are awesome combo. It significantly reduced body roll as well. My car turns really sharply (plus i currently on RE070s). It understeer very slightly. I still haven't drove at that limit of my suspension YET.

6. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

sway bars are on the underside of the car. strut bars tie together the top of the strut towers

7. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

Anyone here have a wagon with a larger rear bar and a strut tower brace? I'd really like have a ride before ordering 'em up to see what difference it makes.
    The main thing I would like to get rid of is some body roll. I do not think I'm really interested in springs right now.

8. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

yep, i got em

-drums

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

BlueBox, one of the members on here who doesnt post off has a wagon with a rear strut. I cannot rmember if he has the rear sway as well. I know that I will be helping him put his anti-lift kit in today (assuming no rain). I will talk to him today.

The man just doesnt post often.

10. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

Great guys. Thanks. It would be nice to be able to check it out before I order a bunch of parts and risk not getting what I am thinking.
    Brett you going to the Dyno day? or I'm around gwinnett place during the work day with a flexible schedule if you hit SoG for parts or something. Maybe I could check it out then.

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Hey TJRCS,
    Just my opinion, but I think if your gonna upgrade sways, you should go to 24' front and 20-24 rear. I understand your concerns with your girl driving your car and everything but...I have the 24 and 20-24 setup on the middle setting on the rear and the only way I've got the back to swing out is when I make it(FUN!!!, by the way). I've pushed it pretty damn hard and it held like a champ. I really don't think you'll have a problem. Plus you could go to the softest setting on the rear and it makes the car almost nuetral. I think going to anything smaller would be kind've a waste...
    again, just my .02

12. longfury

longfury Active Member

Porter and many others will agree that our cars NEED big front sway bars. Trust us on this one. ;)

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

14. feelthebreak

feelthebreak Member

i left my stock swaybar on front and just replaced the rear one with a thick 26mm swaybar. oversteer is good for you.

15. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

just watch out when you brake hard in emergency situation.... slight steering input will kick your tail out...

16. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

I'm the guy alex was talking about with the reat strut. I'm getting a rear sway probably in the next few months. But, the strut does make a noticable difference in the rear on the wagon by eliminating a lot of the body roll. You can also be a lot more agressive entering a corner. That was always what I found to be the biggest drawback of the wagon... you can power out of the corner fine but had to be gentle entering it because of the loose rear end. The strut really helps. Supposedly the ALK helps that too (sharpening turn in) but I wouldn't know yet. I'm having a terrible time getting the control arm nut off. I'll let you know how that goes too if you're interested. If you want to take a look at the bar and see one installed, let me know and I'll be more than obliged to help you out.

17. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

Yes I'm going to be at the Dyno Day. I live off of club dr. so i'm really close to SoG. It takes me less than 5 mins to get there. Send me a PM and I could even meet you somewhere.

-drums

18. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

Were you on Old Norcross around 12:15 today? If so I saw you but traffic was too backed up to give chase. I'll PM my number.

19. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

It wasn't me. I work in Smyrna during the day. I got your number I'll give ya call.

-drums

20. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

BlueBox - I have the Perrin rear sway bar and the Cusco CF rear strut bar. I also have Tein Flex Collovers w/ EDFC. Thou the EDFC is not hooked up right now. But you should get a good feel for how the car handles. Plus I can take the strut bar off real easy, so you can feel the diff. w/ and w/o.

-drums

21. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

Have you decided what you are gonna do?

I think you would be very satisfied with the front and rear sway bars.

But adding the rear strut bar makes a noticeable dif. in the wagons.

-drums

22. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

As soon as I find a vendor not allergic to an old guy’s money I plan to order endlinks, bars and a quick release strut tower brace like Kevin’s. Maybe the Cobb bars that Porter talked me out of it. However he never followed up with a price when I requested it. Maybe I can talk Eric out of retirement or sweet talk Lisa. I’d much rather use a local vendor.