Tail Lights - whats legal

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by CWebb6913, Jul 8, 2009.

1. CWebb6913

CWebb6913 New Member

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

those should be fine. 90% of the covers out there on the market are legal in the sense that you can still see the light from 500ft.

only time you run into a problem is some states require that nothing be placed over the factory lighting at all. but my tail lights on my honda were almost completely black and definitely couldn't be seen from 500ft, and i NEVER had a problem. even when i did get pulled over the cop never mentioned anything about them

3. CWebb6913

CWebb6913 New Member

Yeah, I just didn't know if anyone ever had trouble being pulled over for it. Only reason I ask is b/c I got pulled over on I-75 ONLY due to the cop thinking my windows were too dark which they werent - I've got the 09 hatchback so the rear and backset windows are 5% but the driver and passenger side are 35%.

I guess I was just really surprised I would get pulled over for window tinting.

thanks man

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

they can still ticket you for the backseat windows. its only the little rear quarter windows and back glass they can't measure, but its still illegal to have anything other than 35%. anywhere they can measure and it reads other than 35%, be prepared to get a ticket. I've been tailed for 10miles then pulled over for window tint on 75. he checked front and rear roll-up windows

5. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

According to my next door neighbor that is a gwinnett county cop, everything is legal as long as when you get up close to the tails, that you can still read the SAE number or the DOT number......just FYI

6. ptc075

ptc075 Member

§ 40-8-23 states
    a) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured prior to January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with at least one taillight mounted on the rear, which when lighted as required in this article shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.

Note that it does specify a RED light. It's arguable whether the color emited under all that tint is still red or not (imo). Clearly it's red-ish, but you're setting yourself up for a judgement call from the cop who pulls you over. Practice that smile. ;P

I'd be more concerned about this section:

§ 40-8-24. Reflectors
    (a) Every motor vehicle manufactured after March 12, 1954, and operated upon a highway, other than a truck tractor, motorcycle, or motor driven cycle, shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the taillights or separately, two red reflectors, and every motorcycle and every motor driven cycle shall carry on the rear at least one red reflector, meeting the requirements of this Code section.

Unless I'm mistaken, the factory tail lights on our cars are considered to double as the red reflectors required here. Replacing that taillight lens with a smoked one would violate this law. (imo)

If you're really interested, I suggest you read the rest of these sections, and look up more yourself. I started here:
    http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

-Chris!

7. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I don't think so...trucks and suv's are under different laws than sedans. I'm pretty sure a wagon would be considered an suv. You can have 5% on the back windows, only the fronts are required to be at 35%.

Also - maybe this is just me, but why in the world would you ever want to black out anything that lets other people behind you know you're slowing down? I'm all for sleek looks, but I'd rather not get assraped by someone because they were being lazy and your taillights didn't get their attention.

8. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

not unless it is classified as a light truck like an Outback.