Thank You Subaru of Gwinnett (SOG)

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by chuglobal, Dec 30, 2009.

1. chuglobal

chuglobal Member

I haven't posted any "encounter/fun" stories in quite sometime however I wanted to say Thank You to Lisa & Neal at Subaru of Gwinnett (SOG).

I needed to purchase 4x RE070; I've had my previous set for 2yrs+ ... I have not been on an encounter, mountain run or even track day in 2yrs ... sad to say. :( I hope that changes over the next 2yrs. ;) The RE070s are quite hard to come by in Metro Atlanta thus I contacted ALL the Subaru dealers in Metro Atlanta starting w/ Kennesaw moving East.

I asked for the parts department and asked "Do you carry/have 4x RE070 in a 225/45/17 in stock? If not, how long would it take for you to get them in?" Here are their responses ...

Kennesaw - "We do not have them in stock. We could order them however it'll take 4-5 days."

Classic - "What are they, I never heard of them?" I responded "They are the OEM tires on a 04-X STI." Classic responded "Oh, ok ... let me go check. Oh, yes we have them in stock. They are $137/ea." I responed "Umm, $137/ea ... are these the RE070?" Classic responded "Oh, no these are the RE92 ... I never heard of the RE070."

Troncalli - "What are they, I never heard of them?" I responded "They are the OEM tires on a 04-X STI." Troncalli responded "I don't know anything about them, let me transfer you to another person in parts." Phone hangs up.

Gwinnett - "We do not have them in stock however we can have them here for you tomorrow!" DONE DEAL. :D

Not only did Lisa get the tires here on time as promised, Neal was able to squeeze me in unplanned to get them installed at the sametime. Awesome Customer Service. Thanks.

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have to concur on Lisa. I called for a brembo rebuild kit, she did not have it in stock but had there the next day. The best part about it was that she matched the online price for me and sold me some Motul brake fluid at the online price as well!

3. slowdriver

slowdriver Banned

Silly subaru dealers not even knowing anything about the cars they sell and service.

Tire rack has them in stock typically.

You should have purchased the 255/40/17 RE070!

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Lisa is the (wo)MAN!!!

Neal rocks too.

5. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Yea Lisa is awesome but I will never buy a car from them..Do they even sell Subaru's anymore? Driving by you would think it is an Infiniti dealership..The whole front lot is nothing but Lexus and Infiniti's.

6. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

True dat...Sometimes I don't see how they even stay afloat. Always seems so dead there.

7. Matt

Their front lot is the used/previously owned lot and the new cars either sat on the side, or in the parking lots up top.

8. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I know..it just seems like their used lot is for the overflow from the Infiniti stealership.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

How much you paid for the RE070's?

10. chuglobal

chuglobal Member

Yo

$205/ea ... I saw the RE070 online for $18X-$22X however after shipping it would be cheaper just to pick them up locally. I would prefer to support local places, unless there's a huge price/service difference. ;)

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Cool. If it was me I would've went with the RE-11's which are cheaper and probably perform even better.

12. integroid

I have to agree with Coolrex.....Shocking, I know....The RE11 are cheaper and probably do handle better but the lifespan is probably much shorter.

I guess all of this doesnt really matter as long as you are happy with your purchase.

13. chuglobal

chuglobal Member

Humm

I've used 7 different sets of tires between my 02 WRX and 04 STI over the last 8yrs however I still like the RE070 the best in regards to preformance hands down. Have you used the RE11? How are they, how stiff is the sidewall, how would it compared aganist the RE070? I'd like to know for my next tire set in hopfully another 2yrs. :sx:

RE11 are even shorter than the RE070 ... humm. What is everyone getting out of the RE070 in "normal" driving conditions? I was hoping for 1yr.

14. integroid

I have the RE01'r on my car now...which is the predecessor of the RE11. The tires are the absolute best street tire I have owned as far as performance. The dry weather grip and sidewall stiffness are pheonomenal. Wet weather is just ok though. They rank right up there with the Toyo RA-1's I use to run on the street:)

15. Matt

if the last set lasted you 2 years, then I'm willing to bet this set might do the same.

RE-11 is a more aggressive tire. Comparable to the Falken Azenis, or Advan Neova

16. ZenMotors

ZenMotors Member

Lisa is great! Glad you had a good experience

17. slowdriver

slowdriver Banned

I've seen RE070's last anywhere from 10k to 50k miles. If you drive the car like it should be, you should see 15k~20k miles out of them.

I was not impressed with the RE01R, I have yet to drive on the RE11.

18. chuglobal

chuglobal Member

Yo

I don't remember my exact order of tire history ...

RE92
    RE960
    RE730
    Falken Azenis
    RE760
    RE070
    Toyo T1R
    RE070
    RE070

I do remember the Azenis lasted me <90 days. If the RE11 only last ~90days then I'd definitely stick w/ the RE070. :) The first 2 sets of RE070 lasted ~15-20K and the last set lasted ~30K because of no "spirited" driving ... it must be the age.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  19. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Glad to hear that you had a great experience with Lisa. She's always been a pleasure to deal with :)

20. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Lisa and Neal are both great. Summer and Bob are cool also. I haven't seen any of them since i sold my WRX.

21. k-pac

k-pac New Member

I thought I would post some news about SOG as well.

Looks like Jonathan has left SOG. I think he is currently working out of a shop near the Mall of GA. Not sure what this will develop in to, but I am definitely going to follow him wherever he goes. He has always done excellent work on my car and is completely upfront and honest about what needs to be done and what doesn't need to be done.

22. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

oh yeah, Jonathan is also a good guy. he's got some great stories too.

23. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

I thought I recognized that wicked Legacy wagon that came through the other day! (integroid)

I know a lot of you guys don't know me very well, and I haven't been posting a lot lately...for many reasons...but I started working at SOG about 6 months ago. Before that I was an apprentice mechanic at a small independant import shop in gainesville ga where I worked for almost 3 years.

I have a decent bit of experience now with subarus via my own WRX ( http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12319&highlight=blue ) the training that SOG is putting me through, and the fact that I work on them every day...but bottom line I love these cars, I love my customers, and I love doing good work. I worked along side Jonathan until he left, he taught me a lot, and I miss his company at the shop.

Before working at SOG I was a loyal customer, and as we all know it had some rough years, but things are really starting to turn around there especially in the service department. It seems like we are getting more and more busy every week. I really respect the new management and feel good about being a part of the team, and I won't work for a company or a management team that I feel doesn't have good values.

I guess all I am sayin is that I want you guys to know that there are still people at SOG that really care about doing a good job on your cars, because we like seeing them run well!

Glad to hear these positive comments, and hopefully we will see some of you guys come back around!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010